Pneumatic regulator idea/question

In summary, the speaker asks if they can use a flow regulator to regulate pressure instead of using 3 separate bulky regulators for their waste water treatment plant. Another speaker explains that a flow regulator would not work well and that a pressure regulator is necessary to prevent pressure from exceeding the set point. The speaker also suggests using a smaller type of regulator for their tubing.
tim100
Hi guys,

I have a quick question that someone might be able to assist me with. As a job i build waste water treatment plants and lately we have moved from using an electric butterfly valve to a pneumatic pinch valve.

We have a common air supply of 6 bar and we now regulate to 3 different separate pressures using 3 different regulators which are all set at a specific pressure and never adjusted.

My question is can we use a flow regulator or a similar device to regulate pressure to save room instead of using 3 bulky regulators?

Engineering news on Phys.org
A flow regulator wouldn't work well. Should something stop / hinder flow further down the line, the flow regulator would not stop pressure downstream of itself building beyond the required range. E.g. if someone shut a valve further down the line, the pressure at that valve would build to the maximum in the system (what would be before the regulator), instead of the required limit (what would be after the regulator).

A pressure regulator prevents pressure downstream of itself going beyond the set point.

Not sure of your line size, but the type we use for tubing aren't that large.

Thanks for the advise Jared. Makes perfect sense. I thought there might be another way around rather than having to mount and connect 3 regulators.

Cheers

What is a pneumatic regulator and how does it work?

A pneumatic regulator is a device that controls the pressure of a gas, typically air, in a system. It works by reducing the pressure of the gas as it flows through the regulator, creating a more consistent and manageable output.

What are the key components of a pneumatic regulator?

The key components of a pneumatic regulator include a diaphragm, a spring, and an adjustment mechanism. The diaphragm is responsible for controlling the flow of gas, while the spring helps maintain a consistent output pressure. The adjustment mechanism allows for manual control of the output pressure.

What are the different types of pneumatic regulators?

There are several types of pneumatic regulators, including direct acting, pilot operated, and servo-controlled regulators. Direct acting regulators use a spring-loaded diaphragm to control the output pressure. Pilot operated regulators use an additional valve to help regulate the pressure. Servo-controlled regulators use feedback from a sensor to adjust the output pressure.

What are the uses of pneumatic regulators?

Pneumatic regulators are commonly used in industrial and manufacturing settings to control the pressure of air in pneumatic systems. They are also used in various applications such as HVAC systems, air compressors, and pneumatic tools.

How do I choose the right pneumatic regulator for my application?

When choosing a pneumatic regulator, it is important to consider factors such as the required output pressure, flow rate, and compatibility with the gas being used. It is also important to select a regulator with the appropriate size and type for your specific application.