Passive Hydraulic System to Transmit Mechanical Power

In summary, the hydraulic system described in the video is designed to move 200N with a speed of 0.4 m/s. The two cylinders on either side of the system should be identical, but the engineer is looking for dimensions to move the power without significant pipe losses. The recommended pipe sizes for practical use are given in a reference manual.
ElectricJosh
Hi All,

I am trying to displace mechanical power using a hydraulic system with the fluid as the energy conduit.
I will be using two cylinders with a connecting pipe, so when I push one down the other rises.
This video illustrates well what I am going for in terms of hydraulic topology.

My requirements for the system are to move 200N with a speed of 0.4 m/s and I am thinking of a cylinder length of 0.2m.

The two cylinders on either side of the system should be identical, but I have no idea where to begin designing the system to meet my requirements (I'm an electronic engineer... go figure).

I need to find the dimensions that will allow me to transfer this power from one side to the other without significant pipe losses due to friction etc.

Are there any hydraulic engineers/fluid dynamics engineers out there who can tell me where to start/what equations I should be using for cylinder dimensions and minimum pipe dimensions?

This question might be a bit vague but I would be very grateful for a push in the right direction?

Thank you very much. :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Your question would need many pages to answer fully .

Have a look at basics described here :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/science/triple_aqa/using_physics_make_things_work/hydraulics/revision/2/

Try sketching something out just using basic knowledge and your own intuition .

Please come back with any specific questions .

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies.

My intention is not to build a robot, I used that video to illustrate the cylinder arrangement that I want. Sorry I did not make that clear.

OK, I've done some calculations and with 200N on a cylinder with a inner diameter of 0.05m and length of 0.1m will give a pressure of 10bars (1MPa) acting outwards on the whole cylinder.
(I've seen some cylinders rated at 10 bars hence this number).

So if I wanted to push it down with a speed of 0.4 m/s the volumetric flow rate out of the cylinder and into the pipe will be 784 E-6 cubic meters per second.

So how do I work out the diameter of a pipe that will accommodate that flow with a workable level of friction?

Thanks again. :)

Ah, that's a nice reference manual that might save me some tedious calculations. Thanks :)

1. What is a passive hydraulic system?

A passive hydraulic system is a type of mechanical power transmission system that uses fluid pressure to transfer power between components without the use of external energy sources, such as pumps or motors. It relies on the natural forces of gravity and fluid pressure to operate.

2. How does a passive hydraulic system work?

A passive hydraulic system works by using a fluid-filled pipe to transmit mechanical power between components. The force of gravity causes the fluid to flow from a higher point to a lower point, creating pressure that can be harnessed to move or operate machinery. This allows for smooth, consistent power transfer without the need for external energy sources.

3. What are the benefits of using a passive hydraulic system?

Passive hydraulic systems offer several benefits, including low maintenance requirements, high power density, and the ability to operate in remote or hazardous environments. They also have a simple design and can be more energy-efficient compared to other power transmission systems.

4. What types of machinery can a passive hydraulic system be used for?

Passive hydraulic systems can be used for a variety of machinery, including lifts, conveyors, and presses. They are also commonly used in industrial and agricultural equipment, such as tractors and forklifts. Additionally, passive hydraulic systems can be utilized in renewable energy systems, such as hydroelectric power plants.

5. What are some potential drawbacks of using a passive hydraulic system?

While passive hydraulic systems have many advantages, they also have some potential drawbacks. These include the risk of fluid leaks, which can be hazardous to the environment and require regular maintenance. Additionally, passive hydraulic systems may not be suitable for high-speed or precision applications due to their reliance on natural forces and potential for fluid compression.