How can the logarithm problem be solved?

• Thread starter chwala
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithm
In summary, the conversation discusses working on logs with conjoined bases and the approach of using the equation $$p^5=x$$ and $$p^2=y$$ to find the value of $$m$$ in the equation $$\log_{xy}(p) = \frac{\log_p(p)}{\log_p(xy)} = \frac{1}{2 + 5}$$ The speaker also mentions being inconsistent in their notation and apologizes for not capturing the question correctly.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Given that, $$log_p X=5$$ and $$log_p Y=2$$.
Find $$log_{xy} P$$
Relevant Equations
Logs
Interesting, i have not worked on logs with conjoined bases before, anyway my approach is as follows;

$$p^5=x$$ and $$p^2=y$$
Let $$log_{xy}P = m$$, →$$(xy)^m = P$$
$$(P^5⋅P^2)^m = P^1$$
$$P^{7m}=P^1$$
$$m=\frac {1}{7}$$

Any other way of looking at this is most welcome.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
As you find
[tex]\log_ab \ \log_ba=1[/tex]

Likes chwala
[tex]\log_{xy}(p) = \frac{\log_p(p)}{\log_p(xy)} = \frac{1}{2 + 5}.[/tex]

Likes chwala
You are, of course, assuming that x = X, y = Y and p = P. Or just being inconsistent in your notation.

I have been thinking about this question and my bad:mad:, i did not indicate the letters in the right manner. Find the question below as it appears on the textbook;

1640670828612.png

This implies that, my method was after all correct! Sorry for my lack of details here...

mjc123 said:
You are, of course, assuming that x = X, y = Y and p = P. Or just being inconsistent in your notation.
Kindly check my post ##5##...i did not capture the question correctly...My apologies mjc...

What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is the inverse function of exponentiation. It is used to solve equations where the unknown value is in the exponent.

How do I solve a logarithm problem?

To solve a logarithm problem, you can use the properties of logarithms and algebraic manipulation to rewrite the equation in a simpler form. Then, you can solve for the unknown value by isolating it on one side of the equation.

What are the properties of logarithms?

The properties of logarithms include the product rule, quotient rule, power rule, and change of base rule. These properties allow you to simplify logarithmic expressions and solve equations involving logarithms.

What are some common mistakes when solving logarithm problems?

Some common mistakes when solving logarithm problems include forgetting to apply the properties of logarithms, not simplifying the expression before solving, and making errors in algebraic manipulation.

Can logarithms be negative?

Yes, logarithms can be negative. However, the input of a logarithmic function must always be positive, so the negative sign usually applies to the output of the function.