How can the power rule be used to differentiate fractions in a simpler way?

In summary, the conversation is about differentiating a complex equation using both the definition and the power rule. The person is trying to understand how to handle fractions and constants when differentiating and is also questioning whether differentiation is linear. The expert summarizer explains that constants cannot be ignored and differentiation is indeed linear. They also provide an example of using a limit theorem to show the linearity of differentiation.
DorumonSg
Its more a simplifying problem...

I was trying to differentiate this using definition principal

1-x^1/2

But I got stuck here :

(1-(x+h)^1/2 - (1-x^1/2))/h

I mean how do you explan something to the power of half or infact any fraction? I know I can change it to 1/sqrt(x+h)... but it just makes things more complicated... coz I can't get rid of the h then...

But using power rule is simple... 1-x^1/2 = -1/2X^-1/2

On top of that, I want to ask... are the constant numbers ignorable in differentiation? For example 4 - x^2 is -2x, I can just apply power rule on -x^2 and get the same answer... If I were to differentiate this by definition, can I just do -x^2 and ignore 4 too?

Physics news on Phys.org
write sqrt(x+h)-sqrt(x) as
[(x+h)-x]/[sqrt(x+h)+sqrt(x)]
by using
a-b=(a^2-b^2)/(a+b)

We do not ignor constants, but differentiation is linear that is
(a f+b g)'=a f'+b g'
when a and b are constants and f and g are functions

Last edited:
write sqrt(x+h)-sqrt(x) as
[(x+h)-x]/[sqrt(x+h)+sqrt(x)]
by using
a-b=(a^2-b^2)/(a+b)

Erm... so I am guessing you canceled the 1 away already before coming to this step? But if I do this its a fraction over h...

Coz the equation will become {[(x+h)-x]/[sqrt(x+h)+sqrt(x)]}/h and I still don't know how to get rid of h...

We do not ignor constants, but differentiation is linear that is
(a f+b g)'=a f'+b g'
when a and b are constants and f and g are functions

Erm... don't understand. Well I just did a differentiation using definition just now, and I realized you cannot remove the constant beforehand but when using Power Rule, it seems it can be ignored.

And how do you tell if it linear anyway?

What does (x+h)-x simplify to? After that, can you cancel the h?

-yes I canceled the one
-the h's cancel after the x's cancel in (x+h)-x
-one can prove the differentiation is linear or take it as an axiom
have you seen limit theorems like
lim[a f(x)]=a lim f(x)
and
lim [f(x)+g(x)]=lim f(x)+lim g(x)
if so it will be easy to show
(a f+b g)'=a f'+b g'
by using the limit definition of differentiation
-can you finish the differentiation of sqrt(x)?

Related to How can the power rule be used to differentiate fractions in a simpler way?

What is the definition of the Power Rule?

The Power Rule is a mathematical rule that is used to find the derivative of a function raised to a power. It states that the derivative of x^n is n times x^(n-1), where n is any real number.

Why is the Power Rule important?

The Power Rule is important because it allows us to easily find the derivative of functions with exponents, which are commonly found in many mathematical and scientific applications. It also serves as a key building block for more complex derivative rules.

Can the Power Rule be applied to all functions?

No, the Power Rule can only be applied to functions where the independent variable is raised to a constant power. It cannot be used for functions where the exponent is a variable or a function itself.

How is the Power Rule used to find the derivative of a function?

To use the Power Rule, you must first bring the exponent down in front of the variable and then subtract 1 from the exponent. This new expression becomes the derivative of the original function.

Are there any other rules that are related to the Power Rule?

Yes, there are several other derivative rules that are related to the Power Rule, such as the Product Rule and the Chain Rule. These rules are used when finding the derivative of more complex functions that involve both exponents and other mathematical operations.