How can the stunt be possible with a minimum force of 600 N?

• Thread starter Masafi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Ramp
In summary, a car weighing 1250 kg and moving at 28.0 m/s joins a moving lorry weighing 3500 kg and moving at 25.5 m/s. To safely perform this stunt, a minimum force of 600 N is needed to slow down the car. The answer can be found using the conservation of momentum method, but not by finding acceleration and using F=ma. The term "lorry" refers to a British truck.
Masafi
A car drives down a ramp onto the back of a moving lorry. Both are moving at high speed, the car slightly faster than the lorry.

The car has mass 1250 kg and is moving at a speed of 28.0 m s–1. The lorry has mass 3500 kg and a speed of 25.5 m s–1. The length of the flat back of the lorry allows a braking distance of 5.0 m.

By considering both momentum and energy show that the stunt is possible, provided a minimum force of about 600 N slows the car down. You should support your explanations with calculations.

Treat the situation as one in which two objects join together

I manage to get the answer of 576 N using the method told to use.

However, I wanted to know, why doesn’t the answer work out if I do:

1. find velocity using conservation of linear momentum (as would in the normal procedure)
2. use constant acc equations to find the deceleration
3. then do F=ma?

This would give Acc = -9.73 and F = 12kN?

Physics news on Phys.org
Good question... I don't believe conservation of momentum really applies here, as the two objects aren't crashing into each other. But I might just be crazy. Now for my question: What the heck is a lorry?

Char. Limit said:
Good question... I don't believe conservation of momentum really applies here, as the two objects aren't crashing into each other. But I might just be crazy. Now for my question: What the heck is a lorry?

Yeah it doesn't, that's what i thought as well, but the questions states it.

Its british for a truck lol...

Related to How can the stunt be possible with a minimum force of 600 N?

1. How does the angle of the ramp affect the distance the car travels?

The steeper the angle of the ramp, the shorter the distance the car will travel. This is because more of the car's energy is used to overcome the force of gravity rather than its forward motion.

2. What role does friction play in a car driving down a ramp?

Friction is responsible for slowing down the car as it moves down the ramp. The amount of friction depends on the surface of the ramp and the wheels of the car. If there is more friction, the car will travel a shorter distance.

3. Does the weight of the car affect its speed on the ramp?

Yes, the weight of the car does affect its speed on the ramp. The heavier the car, the more force it will need to overcome the force of gravity, resulting in a slower speed. This is due to the principle of inertia, which states that objects with more mass require more force to change their motion.

4. How does the length of the ramp affect the car's speed?

The longer the ramp, the faster the car will travel. This is because the car has more time to build up speed as it moves down the longer ramp. However, if the angle of the ramp remains the same, the car will eventually reach a maximum speed and will not continue to accelerate.

5. Can the height of the ramp affect the car's speed?

Yes, the height of the ramp can affect the car's speed. The higher the ramp, the more potential energy the car will have at the top. This potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as the car moves down the ramp, resulting in a faster speed. However, this also depends on the angle of the ramp and the presence of friction.