How can we recover all the lead from old car batteries?

In summary, the speaker attempted to extract lead from a car battery but was only able to retrieve a small amount due to the acid corroding the lead. They question if there is a way to recover all the lead that goes into a new battery from an old one, and suggest using an electrolytic cell. They also mention the difficulty of explaining run-on sentences to someone who may not have paid attention in grammar school.
John1397
Years ago I thought I would take apart a car battery melt all the lead I thought there would be at least 10 or more pounds of lead I only got a little over a pound of lead there was a lot of heavy dirt but applying heat to this material yielded no lead it seems the acid eats or corrodes the lead is there any way to recover all the lead that goes into a new battery from an old one?

Physics news on Phys.org
Electrolysis has converted the metallic lead to a lead compound (lead sulphate? I think). To get the lead out of that grey goo, you would need an electrolytic cell. Messy business and not to be undertaken without the right safety measures.

Likes Nik_2213
John1397 said:
Years ago I thought I would take apart a car battery melt all the lead I thought there would be at least 10 or more pounds of lead I only got a little over a pound of lead there was a lot of heavy dirt but applying heat to this material yielded no lead it seems the acid eats or corrodes the lead is there any way to recover all the lead that goes into a new battery from an old one?
I once tried to explain to someone why run-on sentences could get to be very hard to follow guess he didn't learn much in what used to be called grammar school could be because he was thinking of something else at the time hard to say don't know what else to think it was a lost cause even though i tried my best maybe could have done better.

Last edited:
Likes Lord Crc, OCR, sophiecentaur and 1 other person

1. Why do some car batteries have no lead?

Some car batteries are made without lead because lead is a toxic and environmentally harmful material. Lead-free batteries are more eco-friendly and safer for the environment.

2. What are the materials used in a lead-free car battery?

Lead-free car batteries are typically made from materials such as lithium, nickel, and cobalt. These materials are more sustainable and less harmful to the environment than lead.

3. Are lead-free car batteries as effective as lead-acid batteries?

Yes, lead-free car batteries are just as effective as lead-acid batteries. They have the same power and capacity to start a car's engine and power its electrical systems.

4. Are lead-free car batteries more expensive?

In general, lead-free car batteries can be more expensive than traditional lead-acid batteries. However, their longer lifespan and eco-friendly materials make them a more cost-effective choice in the long run.

5. Can lead-free car batteries be recycled?

Yes, lead-free car batteries can be recycled. In fact, they are easier to recycle than traditional lead-acid batteries because they do not contain toxic lead. This makes them a more sustainable and environmentally friendly option.