Indirect Airflow for Safe Extraction of Hydrogen from Lead-Acid Battery Room

• I
  • Thread starter somephy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Airflow
In summary, you can blow air into the battery room to create a draft and let it leak out, or use a fan that doesn't put it in the airflow. If you're careful, you can run the fan off the battery bank.
somephy
Hello,

I need to extract a flammable gas (hydrogen) from a lead-acid battery room.

Is there a way to use a regular fan without putting it in the airflow (hence to produce some degree of negative pressure in the battery room)?

I've made a little sketch to illustrate the actual situation. Thank you in advance for any suggestion.

Attachments

• airflow.png
    airflow.png
    10.1 KB · Views: 336
Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

You could blow air into the battery room, creating a positive pressure, and let it leak out from walls that at not air tight.

You can also do both, a forced draft fan blowing in and an induced draft fan blowing out. Together, they produce a draft in a zero gauge pressure room.

Likes somephy
Thank you very much for your quick reply (and for your kind, welcoming words)!

Blowing air in the battery room was my first attempt but the room isn't entirely air tight (as i left some openings at the bottom to allow an airflow through the exhaust pipe). If I will blow air in the battery room, chances are the hydrogen will get mixed with the air and will escape through those bottom openings, too.

Anyway, may I only use an external fan as displayed in the sketch above?

Given hydrogen gas is less dense than air, I'd include some passive air vents near the ceiling, too...
Although your choice may come down to local safety ordinances etc, with eg 'mine-grade flame-proof' demanded by your insurance assesor, may I suggest using non-sparking, low-voltage fans ? Plural, lest one fails, of course, of course.
If you're careful, you may be able to run them off the battery bank, ensuring another possible failure mode is nailed down...

Likes somephy
Most belt drive fans have their motors outside the airstream, but this type of system has safety and code implications, so it should really be designed by a registered professional engineer. Thread locked for safety/liability reasons.

1. What is indirect airflow for safe extraction of hydrogen from lead-acid battery room?

Indirect airflow is a ventilation system that uses ductwork to remove hydrogen gas from a lead-acid battery room and safely vent it outside. This method helps prevent the buildup of explosive levels of hydrogen gas in the room.

2. Why is indirect airflow necessary for extracting hydrogen from lead-acid battery room?

Indirect airflow is necessary because lead-acid batteries produce hydrogen gas as a byproduct of the charging process. This gas is highly flammable and can pose a safety risk if not properly ventilated. Indirect airflow helps remove the gas from the room and prevent potential explosions.

3. How does indirect airflow work?

Indirect airflow works by using a fan to draw air from the battery room into ductwork. The ductwork then carries the air outside, where it is safely dispersed. This creates a negative pressure in the battery room, which helps prevent the escape of hydrogen gas into the surrounding area.

4. Are there any alternatives to indirect airflow for safe extraction of hydrogen from lead-acid battery room?

Yes, there are other methods for extracting hydrogen from a lead-acid battery room, including direct airflow and hydrogen detection systems. However, indirect airflow is often considered the safest and most effective option for preventing hydrogen gas buildup.

5. What are the benefits of using indirect airflow for safe extraction of hydrogen from lead-acid battery room?

The main benefit of using indirect airflow is that it helps ensure the safety of individuals working in or near the battery room. It also helps prevent damage to equipment and property due to potential explosions. Additionally, indirect airflow is a cost-effective and relatively simple solution for managing hydrogen gas in a lead-acid battery room.