How Can You Measure Star Distances Using Ancient Astronomical Techniques?

• Thread starter Garret
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stars
In summary, astronomers from that era used sextants and cross staffs for measuring angles in order to find distances to the fake stars on the ceiling of a building. If you can find something like a metal protractor, that would probably fit the requirements.
Garret
Hello,

Well let me give a pithy description of what’s going on. There are 6 fixed stars (constellation) within a building and an observatory, which is the only place measurements of distances and positions can be calculated. Now I need to find the distance to each start using parallax methods and quadrant, etc. Also, I can only use materials prior to the 1600’s, so no lasers (Sorry Dr. Evil), plastics, lenses, etc. Then I’m supposed to plot the positions of each start with right ascension and declination. Now the problem I’m having is visually seeing how I would do this with instruments in an accurate manner. A little help on how to approach this using parallax method and other instruments/methods would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,
Garret & Colleagues

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Astronomers from that era used sextants and cross staffs for measuring angles:

link

If you can find something like a metal protractor, that would probably fit the requirements. Do I understand correctly that these are fake stars on the ceiling of a building? Cause if they're real ones, you're pretty screwed. The first stellar parallaxes weren't measured until the mid 1800s.

SpaceTiger said:
Astronomers from that era used sextants and cross staffs for measuring angles:

link

If you can find something like a metal protractor, that would probably fit the requirements. Do I understand correctly that these are fake stars on the ceiling of a building? Cause if they're real ones, you're pretty screwed. The first stellar parallaxes weren't measured until the mid 1800s.

First, I'd like to say thanks. Second, the stars are fake and suspended/attached to the ceiling. Though, I'm still some what confused on how to use the instruments to find distance...

Garret said:
Though, I'm still some what confused on how to use the instruments to find distance...

Have you ever done that little experiment where you put up a finger and then look at it with one eye at a time, alternating? See how your finger flips back and forth across your field of view? That's because each eye is looking at it from a different angle. Try moving your finger to different distances from your eyes. Does it flip more or less when it's closer?

Think about this for a bit and hopefully you'll get some ideas for how you can measure the distance to your model stars.

NOTE: I'm not suggesting you use just your eyes. That would probably be a really difficult measurement to make, for reasons you can hopefully figure out.

Last edited:
I assume you know you must take your measurements 6 months apart. The diameter of the Earth's orbit [1000 light seconds] then becomes the base of a triangle. You then take the angular displacement vs selected background stars at each position and calculate the other legs of the triangle.

Chronos said:
I assume you know you must take your measurements 6 months apart.

I don't think that's necessary with his hanging stars. :wink:

Hehe, ok. Just walk to the opposite side of the room and measure the distance.

Related to How Can You Measure Star Distances Using Ancient Astronomical Techniques?

1. What tools do scientists use to measure the distance and positions of stars?

Scientists use a variety of tools to measure the distance and positions of stars, including telescopes, spectroscopes, and astrometric instruments. These instruments allow scientists to gather data on the light and movements of stars, which can then be used to calculate their distance and position in the sky.

2. How do scientists measure the distance of stars that are millions of light years away?

Scientists use a method called parallax to measure the distance of stars that are millions of light years away. This involves measuring the apparent change in position of a star when viewed from different points on Earth's orbit around the sun. By using trigonometry, scientists can then calculate the distance of the star.

3. Can scientists measure the exact position of a star?

While scientists can determine the general position of a star in the sky, it is not possible to measure the exact position due to factors such as Earth's rotation and the movement of the star itself. However, scientists can use precise measurements and calculations to determine the relative position of a star compared to other objects in the sky.

4. How do scientists determine the position of stars in relation to our solar system?

Scientists use a method called astrometry to determine the position of stars in relation to our solar system. This involves measuring the precise location of a star in the sky and then using mathematical models to calculate its position relative to Earth and our solar system.

5. Are there any limitations to measuring the distance and positions of stars?

Yes, there are limitations to measuring the distance and positions of stars. These include atmospheric interference, limitations of current technology, and the sheer vastness of the universe. Additionally, the further away a star is, the more difficult it becomes to accurately measure its distance and position.