How to find the distance from a star to the center of the Milky Way Galaxy?

In summary, you can use the information in various star catalogs to approximate the distance of a given star from the center of the Milky Way Galaxy. You need to calculate the shape of a triangle with the sun at corner A, the star of interest at corner B, and the galactic center at corner C. The length AC is above, and the length AB should be available from on-line facts about the star. The angle BAC can be calculated from given positions is the sky for B and C. From that you can calculate the distance BC.
Michael_L
TL;DR Summary
How to find a distance of a star to the center of the Milky Way Galaxy? Given the astronomical data of a star in the catalogues, how to calculate it's radial separation from the center?
The distance of the sun to the Galactic Center is about 7.4–8.7 kiloparsecs.
If I use the known data of stars in various stellar catalogues, how can I calculate (approximately) a distance of a given star from the Center? What kind of data I need to look for? can it be calculated from Right ascension and Declination?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Michael_L said:
can it be calculated from Right ascension and Declination?

No. That gives you a line and the star can be anywhere on that line. The points on that line are of varying distance to the center.

Likes Michael_L
Vanadium 50 said:
No. That gives you a line and the star can be anywhere on that line. The points on that line are of varying distance to the center.

Ok, I see. So what do I have to do to calculate it? The info I have can be found here:
https://exoplanetarchive.ipac.calte...erview/nph-DisplayOverview?objname=TRAPPIST-1
I got some idea:
"Distance (pc)" is calculated from the Sun, and not from the center. But if I have: Galactic Latitude (deg), Distance (pc) and the distance from the Sun to the center, so the distance from the center to a star can be calculated. Right?
We have a triangle with one known angle and two vertices.

Michael_L said:
Summary:: How to find a distance of a star to the center of the Milky Way Galaxy? Given the astronomical data of a star in the catalogues, how to calculate it's radial separation from the center?

The distance of the sun to the Galactic Center is about 7.4–8.7 kiloparsecs.
If I use the known data of stars in various stellar catalogues, how can I calculate (approximately) a distance of a given star from the Center? What kind of data I need to look for? can it be calculated from Right ascension and Declination?
Hi Mike:

I suggest you start by taking a look at
The first paragraph says
The Galactic Center (or Galactic Centre) is the rotational center of the Milky Way galaxy... It is 8.2 ± 0.4 kiloparsecs (26,700 ± 1,300 ly) away from Earth in the direction of the constellations Sagittarius, Ophiuchus, and Scorpius where the Milky Way appears brightest.​
You need to calculate the shape of a triangle with the sun at corner A, the star of interest at corner B, and the galactic center at corner C. The length AC is above, and the length AB should be available from on-line facts about the star. The angle BAC can be calculated from given positions is the sky for B and C. From that you can calculate the distance BC.

Good luck.

Regards,
Buzz

Likes Michael_L
Buzz Bloom said:
You need to calculate the shape of a triangle with the sun at corner A, the star of interest at corner B, and the galactic center at corner C. The length AC is above, and the length AB should be available from on-line facts about the star. The angle BAC can be calculated from given positions is the sky for B and C. From that you can calculate the distance BC.
I think it could be down to simple trigonometry. If you have the two distances and the included angle than the third side of the triangle can be calculated. This presupposes you know the angle to within the accuracy you need for your calculation. The angle could be found from similar sources as the two distances (or a galactic map and a protractor) Did you want to get the angle from actual observation?)

The ABC angle is the real challenge here. It is not an easy transformation form observed angles (alpha and delta) to galactocentric angle.

The Gaia project data contains everything you need to know. All the stars you could want to know about are on the (freely available ) ESA database. Their positions are all available - but you will need to dig down below the level of their lovely pictures. No geometrical activity needed, I think.
Give it a try

Hi, do anybody know probably there is some online calculator which calculate distance? smile3.png

Michael_L said:
The ABC angle is the real challenge here. It is not an easy transformation form observed angles (alpha and delta) to galactocentric angle.
There are calculators to do this ABC angle calculation for you, like this one. The Galactic center is at Sagittarius A*, so is at RA=17h45m40s, Dec=-29d0m28s. As has been said, the distance to the Galactic center is 8.2 kpc. Then you need the RA and Dec of the star you are interested in, and use the above starAngleCalc to get the angle ABC.* Then you just need the distance to the star you care about, which as @sophiecentaur said you can get from the Gaia database. Then you just use the law of cosines to get the distance of your star from the Galactic center.

*Edit. This will actually give you the angle BAC as defined in Post #4.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Keith_McClary, sophiecentaur and Michael_L

1. How do scientists measure the distance from a star to the center of the Milky Way Galaxy?

Scientists use a variety of methods to measure the distance from a star to the center of the Milky Way Galaxy. One common method is parallax, which involves measuring the apparent shift of a star's position as the Earth orbits around the Sun. Other methods include using the star's brightness and spectral characteristics to estimate its distance.

2. What is the estimated distance from the Sun to the center of the Milky Way Galaxy?

The estimated distance from the Sun to the center of the Milky Way Galaxy is about 26,000 light-years. However, this distance is constantly being refined as new technologies and methods are developed.

3. How do scientists determine the distance of a star that is too far for parallax measurements?

For stars that are too far for parallax measurements, scientists use a method called spectroscopic parallax. This involves analyzing the star's spectrum to determine its absolute magnitude, which can then be compared to its apparent magnitude to estimate its distance.

4. Are there any other factors that can affect the accuracy of distance measurements to stars in the Milky Way Galaxy?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the accuracy of distance measurements to stars in the Milky Way Galaxy. These include interstellar dust and gas, which can obscure the star's light and make it appear dimmer, as well as the star's own variability and brightness fluctuations.

5. Why is it important for scientists to accurately measure the distance from stars to the center of the Milky Way Galaxy?

Accurately measuring the distance from stars to the center of the Milky Way Galaxy is crucial for understanding the structure and evolution of our galaxy. It also helps us to better understand the distribution and movements of stars and other celestial objects within the Milky Way.