How can you simplify generated ideals in a commutative unital ring?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Fermat1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ring
In summary: Come to think of it, that has nothing to do with the ring's characteristic, it's more basic than that. So I guess I don't know what the characteristic has to do with anything. Sorry.
Fermat1
Let $x,y$ be members of a commutative unital ring. By using various 'rules' show that
$<y^4+3x^3-2x^2,7y^4+5(xy+yx^2),x^3+2y^3>+<x^3,xy^2,xy^3,yx^2,xy^2,y^4$>
$=<x^2,xy,y^3>$, where $<.>$ denotes the ideal generated by$.$

Can you tell me the rules for simplyifing these generated ideals (and I will complete the question)? My teacher went through them a while back but I lost my notes. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
To start myself off, I have proved that $<xy>=<x><y>$ but $<x>+<y>$ contains $<x+y>$. Can anyone help with simplifying the expression?

Fermat said:
Let $x,y$ be members of a commutative unital ring. By using various 'rules' show that
$<y^4+3x^3-2x^2,7y^4+5(xy+yx^2),x^3+2y^3>+<x^3,xy^2,xy^3,yx^2,xy^2,y^4$>
$=<x^2,xy,y^3>$, where $<.>$ denotes the ideal generated by$.$

Can you tell me the rules for simplyifing these generated ideals (and I will complete the question)? My teacher went through them a while back but I lost my notes. Thanks
I don't know a list of rules for dealing with this, but there is one property that seems fairly obvious. Namely, if two ideals are given in terms of generators then their sum is given by the union of those generators: $\langle a_1, a_2, \ldots, a_m \rangle + \langle b_1, b_2, \ldots, b_n \rangle = \langle a_1, a_2, \ldots, a_m, b_1, b_2, \ldots, b_n \rangle.$ In this case, $$\begin{aligned}\langle y^4+3x^3-2x^2,&7y^4+5(xy+yx^2), x^3+2y^3 \rangle +\langle x^3,xy^2,xy^3,yx^2,xy^2,y^4 \rangle \\ &= \langle y^4+3x^3-2x^2, 7y^4+5(xy+yx^2),x^3+2y^3, x^3,xy^2,xy^3,yx^2,xy^2,y^4 \rangle .\end{aligned}$$ After that, you can reduce the number of generators by common sense methods. For example, the set of linear combinations of $x^3+2y^3$ and $x^3$ is the same as the set of linear combinations of $2y^3$ and $x^3.$ So you can simplify the list of generators by replacing $x^3+2y^3$ by $2y^3.$ Also, if $xy^2$ is a generator then $xy^3 = (xy^2)y$ is automatically in the ideal, so is not needed as a generator. In that way, you should be able to simplify the list of generators to $\langle -2x^2, 5xy, 2y^3, x^3,xy^2,yx^2,xy^2,y^4 \rangle .$

To get any further than that, I had to make the assumption that the ring has characteristic $0$ (or at least does not have characteristic $2$ or $5$). If so, then you can multiply the first three of the generators in that last set by scalars and replace them by $x^2$, $xy$ and $y^3$. the remaining generators in the list are then multiples of those three, which therefore form a complete list of generators for the ideal.

Opalg said:
I don't know a list of rules for dealing with this, but there is one property that seems fairly obvious. Namely, if two ideals are given in terms of generators then their sum is given by the union of those generators: $\langle a_1, a_2, \ldots, a_m \rangle + \langle b_1, b_2, \ldots, b_n \rangle = \langle a_1, a_2, \ldots, a_m, b_1, b_2, \ldots, b_n \rangle.$ In this case, $$\begin{aligned}\langle y^4+3x^3-2x^2,&7y^4+5(xy+yx^2), x^3+2y^3 \rangle +\langle x^3,xy^2,xy^3,yx^2,xy^2,y^4 \rangle \\ &= \langle y^4+3x^3-2x^2, 7y^4+5(xy+yx^2),x^3+2y^3, x^3,xy^2,xy^3,yx^2,xy^2,y^4 \rangle .\end{aligned}$$ After that, you can reduce the number of generators by common sense methods. For example, the set of linear combinations of $x^3+2y^3$ and $x^3$ is the same as the set of linear combinations of $2y^3$ and $x^3.$ So you can simplify the list of generators by replacing $x^3+2y^3$ by $2y^3.$ Also, if $xy^2$ is a generator then $xy^3 = (xy^2)y$ is automatically in the ideal, so is not needed as a generator. In that way, you should be able to simplify the list of generators to $\langle -2x^2, 5xy, 2y^3, x^3,xy^2,yx^2,xy^2,y^4 \rangle .$

To get any further than that, I had to make the assumption that the ring has characteristic $0$ (or at least does not have characteristic $2$ or $5$). If so, then you can multiply the first three of the generators in that last set by scalars and replace them by $x^2$, $xy$ and $y^3$. the remaining generators in the list are then multiples of those three, which therefore form a complete list of generators for the ideal.

Thanks. I don't understand the last part though. For example, $x^2$ can be generated by $5x^2$ simply by multiplying by $1/5$. What has it got to do with the characteristic?

Fermat said:
Thanks. I don't understand the last part though. For example, $x^2$ can be generated by $5x^2$ simply by multiplying by $1/5$. What has it got to do with the characteristic?
The problem is that $5$ may not have a reciprocal in the ring. For example, the ring of integers contains only whole numbers, not fractions. Come to think of it, that has nothing to do with the ring's characteristic, it's more basic than that.

What are generated ideals in a ring?

Generated ideals in a ring are subsets of a ring that are created by multiplying any element in the ring by a fixed element. This fixed element is called the generator and it can be any element in the ring.

How are generated ideals different from other types of ideals?

Generated ideals are different from other types of ideals because they are created by a single element, while other types of ideals are created by multiple elements or specific conditions.

What is the significance of generated ideals?

Generated ideals are important in ring theory because they help to understand the structure of a ring and its elements. They also play a crucial role in the study of factor rings and quotient rings.

Can generated ideals be infinite?

Yes, generated ideals can be infinite. This can happen when the generator has infinite powers, resulting in an infinite number of elements in the generated ideal.

How can generated ideals be used in real-life applications?

Generated ideals have many applications in mathematics, computer science, and engineering. They can be used in coding theory, cryptography, and data encryption. They also have applications in signal processing and digital communications.