How chirality helps in polarsing?

• Thread starter jd12345
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chirality
In summary, chiral molecules whose mirror images are not superimposable can rotate the plane of polarisation by a certain degree. Unsymmetry helps in this rotation, and further explanation can be found on the Chemguide and Wikipedia pages on optical activity and chiral molecules.
jd12345
I have learned that molecules whose mirror images are not superimposable are chiral and it rotates the plane of polarisation by some degrees. But i don't understand how
How does unsymmetry help in rotating the plane of polarisation?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The wikipedia page seems to offer quite a good explanation of what's going on: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_activity#Theory

I'm not sure what your level of current knowledge is, so if you have any trouble understanding that I'll be happy to explain it as best I can :)

1. What is chirality and how does it help in polarizing?

Chirality refers to the property of molecules to have a non-superimposable mirror image. This means that the molecule and its mirror image are not identical, much like our right and left hands. In terms of polarizing, chirality allows for the manipulation of light waves, causing them to vibrate in a specific direction.

2. How does chirality affect the physical properties of a molecule?

Chirality can affect a molecule's physical properties in various ways. For example, chiral molecules can rotate the plane of polarized light, have different boiling points, and interact differently with other molecules due to their specific shape and orientation.

3. What is the importance of chirality in pharmaceuticals and drug development?

Chirality plays a crucial role in the development of pharmaceuticals. It allows for the production of specific enantiomers (mirror images) of a drug, which can have vastly different effects on the human body. This allows for the creation of more effective and targeted drugs while also reducing potential side effects.

4. Can chirality be observed in nature?

Yes, chirality can be observed in various natural phenomena. For example, many living organisms such as proteins and DNA are chiral. Also, some plants and animals have chiral structures, such as the shells of snails or the wings of butterflies.

5. How is chirality used in analytical techniques?

Chirality is often used in analytical techniques such as chromatography and spectroscopy to identify and separate enantiomers. These techniques take advantage of the different physical properties of chiral molecules, allowing for their detection and analysis.