How competitive is string theory compared to other fields?

In summary, the competition for getting into a good PhD program in the US/UK for string theory is more fierce compared to other fields and the likelihood of getting academic positions is even tougher, especially for international students. Some professors suggest going for other areas like condensed matter physics. However, it is difficult to predict the job market 15 years from now. Currently, there are approximately 100-150 condensed matter hires per year at US PhD granting institutions, while only 0-3 string hires.
Enne
I'm Indian and I've heard stuff that it is difficult to get into a good PhD program in the US/UK for string theory because the competition is more fierce than other fields. Furthermore,the likelihood for getting academic positions is even tougher(added to the fact that I'm from a different country) - and so was advised by some profs to go for other areas like condensed matter physics. I have a suspicion that may not be fully true.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am guessing from your other post that you are a 1st or 2nd year undergrad, perhaps younger. That means you'll be looking for a faculty position 15 or more years from now. I can guess what the market will look like then, but it won't be a very good guess. Nobody can make a good guess that far out.

What I can say is that over the last few years, there are between 100-150 condensed matter hires per year at US PhD granting institutions. Typically, there are 0,1 or 2 string hires. (Since 2009, there have been three)

@Vanadium: Thanks for the reply - what specific granting institution are you talking about? 2-3 hires seems low enough :P

All of them.

1. How does the level of competition in string theory compare to other fields of science?

The level of competition in string theory is quite high compared to other fields of science. This is because string theory is a relatively new and rapidly evolving field that has attracted a lot of attention from researchers all over the world. This competition drives scientists to constantly push the boundaries and come up with new and innovative ideas.

2. Is there a lot of collaboration among scientists in string theory?

Yes, there is a significant amount of collaboration among scientists in string theory. Due to the complex and interdisciplinary nature of the field, it is common for researchers to work together and share their knowledge and expertise to make progress in their research.

3. Are there any specific challenges that make string theory more competitive than other fields?

One of the main challenges in string theory is the lack of experimental evidence to support the theories. This means that researchers must rely heavily on mathematical and theoretical calculations, which can be highly competitive as scientists strive to come up with the most accurate and comprehensive theories.

4. How does the funding for string theory research compare to other fields of science?

The funding for string theory research is generally higher compared to other fields of science. This is because string theory is a cutting-edge and highly promising field that has the potential to revolutionize our understanding of the universe. As a result, governments and organizations are willing to invest more in this area of research.

5. Is there a lot of competition among scientists within the field of string theory?

Yes, there is a significant amount of competition among scientists within the field of string theory. This is because string theory is a highly competitive field, and researchers are constantly trying to prove their theories and make groundbreaking discoveries. However, there is also a sense of collaboration and camaraderie among scientists, as they all share the common goal of advancing our understanding of the universe.