How do black holes attract light?

In summary, black holes (or any object with mass) create a curvature in space-time that affects the path of light. While light has zero invariant mass, it does have energy and is affected by gravity. This can be seen through the equations of general relativity and the concept of four-momentum. The term "mass" often implies invariant mass, causing confusion when it comes to the impact of gravity on particles with zero invariant mass. The path of light is not always a straight line in space-time, as gravitational lensing demonstrates the curvature of space-time.
Nabin kalauni
I recently studied about black holes and hiw they attract light too. But does light have mass? If it doesn't, I don't see any way how gravitational forces affect light. I have heard a bit about wave particle duality. But could you make it more clearer? I have no idea of relativity or particle physics or any other advanced stuff like that.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Gravity from black holes (or any object with mass) curve space-time. Time slows down near the object. When the light follows a straight space-time line it curves toward the object.

Likes Nabin kalauni
In general relativity, gravity is a curvature of space time.
You can imagine that the ball is placed on the trampoline, you will see the curvature of its surface, if you place a small ball nearby, the ball will start to move to the center due to the curvature.

Similar case for black hole, then the light is attracted because it follow the curvature created by black hole.

Likes Nabin kalauni
FactChecker said:
Gravity from black holes (or any object with mass)

Mass is not related to gravity. All energy creates gravity and all energy is affected by gravity. In fact, Einstiens equations for gravity have no mention of mass.

You could even (theoretically) create a black hole out of nothing but light.

Likes Nabin kalauni and FactChecker
newjerseyrunner said:
Mass is not related to gravity.

I wouldn't quite word it that way, but I get what you're trying to get across. Objects with mass certainly create gravity, but an amount of energy equal to mc2 will create the same amount of gravity that the mass m would.

Likes Nabin kalauni
Nabin kalauni said:
I recently studied about black holes and hiw they attract light too. But does light have mass?

Depends on what you call "mass". Light has zero "invariant mass" but it has energy, which is "relativistic mass".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-momentum
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invariant_mass

Invariant mass (in units where c=1) is simply sqrt(E^2 - (px^2 + py^2 + pz^2)), or simply the norm of four-momentum. For particles moving at the speed of light, it's zero: E^2 = (px^2 + py^2 + pz^2) - they move by the same distance in space and in time coordinates.

Term "mass" nowadays almost always implies "invariant mass", but this has the unfortunate side-effect that when people hear that "particle X has zero mass", they incorrectly assume that it is not affected by gravity.

nikkkom said:
Term "mass" nowadays almost always implies "invariant mass", but this has the unfortunate side-effect that when people hear that "particle X has zero mass", they incorrectly assume that it is not affected by gravity.

Who are these people?

Last edited by a moderator:
FactChecker said:
When the light follows a straight space-time line it curves toward the object.

Does it follow a straight space-time line? Two straight lines intersect in one point only but in folded space-time two light beams can intersect in more than one point.

DrStupid said:
Does it follow a straight space-time line?
I am not expert enough on this to give an authoritative answer, but I know that the path of light is found by solving a geodesic equation in relativity. I'm afraid that my calling it a "straight line" might have been too informal.
Two straight lines intersect in one point only but in folded space-time two light beams can intersect in more than one point.
Right. I think that is why gravitational lensing happens, where light from a single source that would be blocked by a large gravitational object appears to be coming around both sides.

Last edited:

1. How do black holes attract light?

Black holes have a strong gravitational pull due to their immense mass. This gravitational pull causes light to bend and be pulled towards the black hole.

2. Can light escape from a black hole?

Once light passes the event horizon of a black hole, it cannot escape. This is because the gravitational pull is so strong that the light cannot overcome it.

3. Are black holes completely black?

Yes, black holes are completely black and do not emit any light. This is because the strong gravitational pull prevents anything, including light, from escaping.

4. Is there a limit to how much light a black hole can attract?

There is no limit to how much light a black hole can attract, as long as the light is within its event horizon. The more light that is attracted, the stronger the gravitational pull of the black hole becomes.

5. Can black holes attract all types of light?

Yes, black holes can attract all types of light, including visible light, infrared radiation, and even X-rays. However, as the light gets closer to the black hole, it becomes more distorted and difficult to detect.