How do flourescant lights work/run out?

• Thread starter wasteofo2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lights
In summary: Fluorescent lights work by using halogen gas inside a glass tube that is pumped with electricity. This electricity excites the atoms, causing them to give off light as their electrons go from higher energy levels to lower ones. However, over time, the filaments in the ends of the bulbs can burn out, causing the bulb to eventually "die out." This is a common occurrence and can be explained further by visiting howstuffworks.com.
wasteofo2
I was wondering how flourescant lights work, and how they eventually wear out.

I'm not sure, but it seems that you just have halogen gas inside the glass tube, you pump some electricity into the gas, it excites the atoms and they give off light as their electrons go from higher energy levels back down to lower ones.

If I'm wrong on that, then please correct me, but it seems simple enough...

The real question I have, is how do they wear out? If all it is is atoms getting excited and giving off light, how does the light bulb eventually "die out"?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
i do believe that that is how they work, don't quote me on it, because when i know I'm right, I'm wrong

Fibonacci

One way they quit is when the filaments in the ends burn out.

Ahh; I hadn't thought that there were traditional filaments inside halogen lightbulbs that actually provided the energy to produce light, I thought it would've been more like 2 active electrodes just exciting the atoms directly...

wasteofo2 said:
Ahh; I hadn't thought that there were traditional filaments inside halogen lightbulbs that actually provided the energy to produce light, I thought it would've been more like 2 active electrodes just exciting the atoms directly...
Halogen bulbs have filaments, but fluorescent bulbs do not.

Related to How do flourescant lights work/run out?

1. How do fluorescent lights produce light?

Fluorescent lights produce light through a process called fluorescence. Electricity is used to excite mercury vapor inside the light, which then emits ultraviolet light. This light then hits a phosphor coating on the inside of the light bulb, causing it to emit visible light.

2. What causes fluorescent lights to run out?

Fluorescent lights run out when the phosphor coating inside the bulb starts to wear out. This can be due to the constant bombardment of electrons causing the coating to degrade over time. The gas inside the bulb can also leak out, causing the light to dim and eventually stop working.

3. How long do fluorescent lights typically last?

The lifespan of a fluorescent light depends on several factors, such as the quality of the bulb and how often it is used. On average, a fluorescent light can last anywhere from 10,000 to 15,000 hours. However, some high-quality bulbs can last up to 20,000 hours.

4. Can fluorescent lights be replaced or do they need to be completely replaced?

Fluorescent lights can be replaced by changing the bulbs inside the fixture. However, if the ballast (the electrical component that regulates the flow of electricity to the light) is faulty, it will need to be replaced as well. In some cases, it may be more cost-effective to replace the entire fixture.

5. Do fluorescent lights produce any harmful substances?

Fluorescent lights do not produce any harmful substances while they are in use. However, they do contain a small amount of mercury, which can be released into the environment if the bulb is broken or improperly disposed of. It is important to handle and dispose of fluorescent lights properly to prevent any potential harm to the environment.