How do I calculate variance for volume, 𝑉 (i.e, ⟨Δ𝑉2⟩=⟨𝑉2⟩−⟨𝑉⟩2)?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with calculating the variance of volume, where the individual is unsure if they should treat volume as a scalar or a vector. They mention using Python's np.var(V) function and the component method, and their confusion on how to approach volume as a parameter. The expert provides clarification that volume is a scalar and does not have components, and explains the difference between analyzing a vector and the volume of a rectangular container. The individual expresses their gratitude and mentions using the coordinate directions as vector components in their simulations. The expert's explanation helps the individual understand their error and they thank the expert for their assistance.
bumblebee77
Homework Statement
I have to calculate Δ𝑉2 (where the "2" means "squared") to calculate something else. But I don't know if I should treat V as a scalar or vector.
Relevant Equations
⟨Δ𝑉2⟩=⟨𝑉2⟩−⟨𝑉⟩2
"2" is "squared."
⟨⟩ means the average of a column of values (i.e., collected over time).
This is not actually a homework problem. I'm old but having trouble with something that's probably at student level because it's so long since I learned this stuff. I would be grateful if someone would please take pity on me and help me out!

I am trying to calculate something that includes this term: ⟨Δ𝑉2⟩. It means "variance of volume." I'm getting lost though because I don't understand if I should treat volume as a scalar or vector here.

What I mean is, for any other parameter made up of three component directions (x, y, z), I would calculate variance by breaking the parameter into its x, y, z components and then using a process that involves dotting them together (I can write out the details if anyone is interested). However, I'm not sure if this is how I should treat V.

If I use Python's np.var(V) function on V (not its components), I get an answer that seems reasonable to the calculation that uses the result of ⟨Δ𝑉2⟩. If I use the component method, I don't. Does anyone know what is going on with this? Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Volume is a scalar, not a vector. It doesn't have components. Are you thinking of a rectangular container with length, width and height? These are not "components" of the volume, in a vectorial sense. They don't behave the same way. If you have e.g. a velocity vector, then
v = √(vx2+vy2+vz2)
But the volume is given by V = xyz. You can't analyse it into components in the same way.

• Informative
Likes bumblebee77
@mjc123, thank you very much!

I don't know why I'm having so much trouble with this. I guess I'm fixated on components because I'm doing simulations at fixed pressure where the volume of my system varies and I'm getting volume output in terms of x, y, z components.

I have done similar calculations for properties that are vectors--where I have to dot the components together as part of the variance calculation.

Yes, I was thinking of the coordinate directions as vector components.

Thanks a lot. I understand your words but still feel like I'm missing something fundamental. At least it sounds like I'm on the right track because my result is right when I treat volume as a scalar! Really appreciate your help. If there's a way to credit you in addition to liking your reply, please feel free to let me know!

1. What is variance and why is it important for calculating volume?

Variance is a statistical measure of how spread out a set of data points is. It is important for calculating volume because it allows us to understand the variability of the volume measurements and make more accurate predictions.

2. How is variance for volume calculated?

Variance for volume is calculated by taking the average of the squared differences between each volume measurement and the mean volume, also known as the mean squared deviation.

3. What is the formula for calculating variance for volume?

The formula for calculating variance for volume is ⟨Δ𝑉2⟩=⟨𝑉2⟩−⟨𝑉⟩2, where ⟨𝑉2⟩ represents the average of the squared volume measurements and ⟨𝑉⟩2 represents the square of the mean volume.

4. How can I interpret the variance for volume?

The variance for volume can be interpreted as the average distance of each volume measurement from the mean volume. A higher variance indicates a larger spread of data points, while a lower variance indicates a more concentrated set of data points.

5. Can variance for volume be negative?

No, variance for volume cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it is calculated by squaring the differences between data points and the mean.