How do I design a Permanent Magnet Synchronous Generator?

In summary, the author is asking about a synchronous generator and how to calculate terminal voltages and currents. They suggest starting with basic principles and formulas, and then modifying them as needed depending on the specific situation.
patodwyer
Hi,

I'm trying to do a very simple analysis on Simulink where I am applying a speed to a Permanent Magnet Synchronous Generator with a purely resistive load.

I'm not familiar with PMSGs so the results I'm getting don't really make any sense to me. Could anyone go through some simple design calculations so I can get a better grasp? Most of what I'm coming across online seems very heavy theory wise and not explained in a simple manner.

I want to understand the terminal voltages and currents mainly.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
patodwyer said:
I'm not familiar with PMSGs so the results I'm getting don't really make any sense to me.

It's difficult for us to guess at what you need. Are you familiar with phasor notation?

That's the trouble with computer simulating programs for teaching, they allow a student to jump right to results with no idea of how he got there.

This old thread and some it links to might help you with machine basics.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/voltage-and-reactive-power-relationship.876346/#post-5503690
A permanent magnet synchronous machine can be treated as just a synchronous machine machine with its field excitation locked at one value.

patodwyer said:
I want to understand the terminal voltages and currents mainly.

In absence of armature current , Terminal volts = KΦRPM where
K is a machine constant determined by open circuit test
Φ is flux in the machine, field excitation ( note that's at zero armature current)
since your permanent magnet machine has fixed field excitation you can consider KΦ a single constant
and RPM is of course speed.

When armature current is allowed to flow terminal volts will be lower because of IR drop in armature windings and a magnetic phenomenon known as "Armature Reaction"

Armature Reaction is usually expressed as "Synchronous Impedance" , let me call it Zsynch , a characteristic of the machine that you determine by a short circuit test.
So, in presence of armature current terminal volts is approximately equal to KΦRPM - Iarmature X Zsynch , neglecting leakage, resistance, and magnetic non-linearity of iron ,...

So your design is multi step
mechanical - size and shape
magnetic - air gap, length and area of magnetic path, what alloys to use, how much MMF do you need
electrical - how much wire of what size
thermal - move enough air through it to remove heat from core and windings

all four interact so it's an iterative process. The formulas you're finding include shortcuts that designers use so as to not start from these basics every time.
First time through you do need to start from those basics so as to understand what's going in inside the machine.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...us-alternator-varying-pf.903012/#post-5686865A question well stated is half answered. Since I have no idea what Simulink asked you that prompted your query, above is best answer i can give.

Last edited:
Likes patodwyer

1. What is a Permanent Magnet Synchronous Generator (PMSG)?

A PMSG is a type of electrical generator that uses permanent magnets to create a magnetic field instead of electromagnets. It converts mechanical energy into electrical energy through the motion of a rotor connected to the generator shaft.

2. What are the advantages of using a PMSG?

PMSGs have a higher efficiency and power density compared to traditional generators. They also have a simpler design and do not require a separate power source for the excitation of the rotor. Additionally, they have a lower maintenance cost and are more reliable due to fewer moving parts.

3. How do I determine the size and power rating of a PMSG?

The size and power rating of a PMSG depend on the specific application and requirements. Factors such as the desired output voltage and current, operating speed, and load must be considered. It is important to consult a professional engineer and perform thorough calculations to determine the appropriate size and power rating for your specific needs.

4. What materials are commonly used in the design of PMSGs?

The most common material used for the rotor of a PMSG is neodymium-iron-boron (NdFeB) permanent magnets. The stator is typically made of laminated steel sheets and copper wire. Other materials such as aluminum, stainless steel, and various alloys may also be used depending on the specific design and application.

5. What is the process for designing a PMSG?

The design process for a PMSG involves several steps, including defining the specifications and requirements, selecting the appropriate materials and components, performing calculations and simulations, creating detailed drawings and models, and testing and refining the design. It is a complex process that requires a thorough understanding of electrical engineering principles and expertise in design and manufacturing.