How do I edit a post to include a quote from another post?

• Thread starter Buzz Bloom
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the "quote" or "reply" feature on a platform called PF for responding to posts. The issue arises when trying to include a new quote from a different post while editing a response. The solution is to duplicate the tab or open a new window, reply with the new quote, and then copy and paste it into the original response. Another method is to use a text editor to add quotation tags and label the quotes before copying and pasting them into the edited response. Some users also suggest manually adding the quote tags and copying the text. Overall, while there are workarounds available, it is preferred to have this functionality as part of the PF interface.
Buzz Bloom
Gold Member
I frequently use the specific PF feature to "quote" or "reply" to text when responding to a post. Sometimes, when I am editing my responding post, I would like to include a new quote from a different post. The edit interface does not seem to let me do that. I do have a work-around that works sometimes, but I would much prefer using some method that is part of the PF available interface functionality.

Physics news on Phys.org
I usually duplicate the tab or open another window, reply there with the new quote and cut and paste it into the former. This also works from one thread to another. Sometimes I want to make a funny remark without derailing the thread, then I cut and paste it into one of the entertainment threads.

Likes symbolipoint and Buzz Bloom
  • Click "reply", copy the code from the box to make a new post, edit the post and put it there
  • Alternatively, write the quote tag and copy the text manually

Likes symbolipoint and Buzz Bloom
The same as fresh_42 and mfb say. You can also use a simple text editor like NotePad and add the quotation tags, copy and paste the desired quotations into the tags, label the tagged quotes according to who wrote them; and then copy and paste what you want where you want into your edited post. The simple, tedious way, but it works.

Likes Buzz Bloom

1. How do I add a quote from another post to my own post?

To add a quote from another post to your own post, you can use the blockquote HTML tag. This will create a visually distinct quote box and indicate that the text is a quote from another source. You can also add the source of the quote within the blockquote tag.

2. Can I edit the formatting of the quote from another post?

Yes, you can edit the formatting of the quote from another post to match the style of your own post. You can change the font, color, size, and alignment of the quote by using CSS or HTML attributes. Just be sure to use the appropriate tags and attributes to ensure the formatting is applied correctly.

3. Can I add a quote from another post that includes images or links?

Yes, you can add a quote from another post that includes images or links. However, it is important to properly attribute the source of the image or link within the quote so as not to violate any copyright laws. You can use the alt attribute for images and include the proper hyperlink for any links within the quote.

4. Is it necessary to ask for permission before quoting someone else's post?

It is always a good idea to ask for permission before quoting someone else's post. This shows respect for the original author and their work. If you are unable to contact the author, it is best to err on the side of caution and not use the quote. Additionally, be sure to properly attribute the quote to the original author even with their permission.

5. Can I edit or paraphrase the quote from another post?

Yes, you can edit or paraphrase the quote from another post. However, it is important to maintain the original meaning and intention of the quote. It is also important to properly attribute the quote to the original author, even if you have edited it. Plagiarism is never acceptable, so be sure to give credit where it is due.