How do I find the amplitude of the combined signal?

In summary, the equation for the combined wave is something that should be memorized, and the sin term represents the amplitude of the electric field.
alexdr5398

Homework Statement

hkr0WaQ.jpg

Homework Equations

Δφ = 2π (Δr/λ)

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand how to get the phase difference, but is the equation for the combined wave (second last line) just something I should memorize?

Also, where does the sin term go in the last line? And why are the units for amplitude "μV/m"? Aren't V/m the units for electric field?

Physics news on Phys.org
alexdr5398 said:
I understand how to get the phase difference, but is the equation for the combined wave (second last line) just something I should memorize?
Probably. It's that or memorize the trig identity for sin(A) + sin(B) which is used to derive it. While the latter is more useful in general, the former is more likely to be expedient in the context of your current coursework.

alexdr5398 said:
Also, where does the sin term go in the last line? And why are the units for amplitude "μV/m"? Aren't V/m the units for electric field?
The sin function varies between + and - 1 as t varies, so what's its magnitude?. The rest are constant terms.

The "μ" in μV stands for "micro". Thus the signal strength is being given in microvolts per meter.

gneill said:
The sin function varies between + and - 1 as t varies, so what's its magnitude?. The rest are constant terms.

Oh I see. So the maximum y value is the amplitude, and that occurs then the sin term is 1.

gneill said:
The "μ" in μV stands for "micro". Thus the signal strength is being given in microvolts per meter.

I know what "μ" is, but isn't the amplitude usually measured in metres? Why is the unit "μV/m" in this case?

alexdr5398 said:
I know what "μ" is, but isn't the amplitude usually measured in metres? Why is the unit "μV/m" in this case?
It's the amplitude of the electric field strength that is being measured. That's the change in electric potential with distance, hence volts per meter as the basic unit. The amplitude here is not a physical distance, but a field strength.

Likes alexdr5398
gneill said:
It's the amplitude of the electric field strength that is being measured. That's the change in electric potential with distance, hence volts per meter as the basic unit. The amplitude here is not a physical distance, but a field strength.

Oh, alright. thank you.

1. What is the amplitude of a combined signal?

The amplitude of a combined signal refers to the maximum displacement of the signal from its resting position. It is a measure of the strength or magnitude of the signal.

2. How do I calculate the amplitude of a combined signal?

To calculate the amplitude of a combined signal, you will need to measure the maximum displacement of the signal from its resting position. This can be done using various techniques such as using an oscilloscope or by measuring the peak-to-peak voltage of the signal.

3. What units is amplitude measured in?

Amplitude is typically measured in units such as volts (V) or decibels (dB), depending on the type of signal being measured.

4. Can the amplitude of a combined signal change?

Yes, the amplitude of a combined signal can change depending on the input signals and the type of combining operation being performed. For example, in amplitude modulation, the amplitude of the combined signal will vary based on the amplitude of the carrier signal and the modulating signal.

5. Why is it important to know the amplitude of a combined signal?

Knowing the amplitude of a combined signal is important for understanding the characteristics and strength of the signal. It can also provide valuable information for analyzing and processing the signal for various applications such as communication, data transmission, and signal processing.