How do I find the distance between two lines passing through different points?

• Thread starter SteliosVas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lines
In summary, the problem involves finding the shortest distance between two lines, one passing through points A and B and the other passing through points C and D. The first step is to determine if the lines are parallel or not, which can be done by finding the vector equations for each line and checking if they are parallel. The next step is to find the vector product between the vectors AB and CD, which will give the direction of the shortest distance between the lines. It is also important to visualize the problem by making a picture to better understand the calculations.
SteliosVas

Homework Statement

Okay thanks everyone for taking the time to read this quesiton. Now I sort of know how to do this question but I am not entirely sure how I should approach it:

I have points A(2,1,2) B(3,2,-1) C(-1,2,4) and D(-2,1,3)

Now a line passes through points A and B and also C and D respectively. What essentially we need to find is that the line that passes through A and B is at least 1 metre apart from the line that passes through C and D

Homework Equations

Dot Product, cross product. unit vector, shortest distance between two points*

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So in order for there to be a distance we must check if the lines are parallel or not...
After conducting a test I found that these lines are skewed.

What I am confused about is this. I have 4 sets of coordinates now I know if I do

AB = B - A = (1,1,-1)

and CD = D - C = (-1,-1,-1) I get two vector equations

Now to find the distance between two vector equations we use vector projection and the unit vector but I am not sure how I can lay that out

Physics news on Phys.org
So you have two lines ##\vec A + \lambda(\vec B - \vec A)## and ##\vec C + \mu (\vec D - \vec C)##.
If I follow this example I need the veector product ##\vec N = \vec {AB} \times \vec {CD}## as the main step.

And note their extremely important tip: make a picture to see what you are doing !

1. What is the distance between two parallel lines?

The distance between two parallel lines is the shortest distance between any two points on the lines that are perpendicular to both lines. This can be found by drawing a perpendicular line from one line to the other and measuring the length of that line.

2. How do you find the distance between two non-parallel lines?

The distance between two non-parallel lines can be found by first finding the shortest distance between any two points on each line. This can be done by drawing a perpendicular line from one line to the other and measuring the length of that line. Then, you can use the Pythagorean Theorem to find the distance between the two perpendicular lines.

3. Can the distance between two lines be negative?

No, the distance between two lines cannot be negative. Distance is a measure of how far apart two objects are, and it is always a positive value.

4. What is the formula for calculating the distance between two lines?

The formula for calculating the distance between two lines depends on whether the lines are parallel or non-parallel. For parallel lines, the distance can be found by taking the absolute value of the difference between the y-intercepts of the two lines. For non-parallel lines, the distance can be found using the Pythagorean Theorem.

5. How does the distance between lines affect their relationship?

The distance between lines can affect their relationship in a few different ways. If the distance between two parallel lines is 0, it means that the lines are actually the same line and are therefore coincident. If the distance between two non-parallel lines is 0, it means that the lines intersect and are therefore considered concurrent. In general, the greater the distance between lines, the less likely they are to intersect or have any other type of special relationship.