How do i find the spring constant for a rope torsion spring

In summary: The spring constant can then be calculated by multiplying the energy required by the spring constant.
Buggsy GC
I have built a torsion wheel catapult (Mangonel) for an assignment,and I need to do some theoretical calculations about the displacement, velocity and time of the projectile, the problem is I don't know how to calculate the spring constant without the displacement of the spring (x) and i don't Know how to measure x for a torsion wheel, I found one formula on wikipedia T= -k theta^2, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torsion_spring#Torsion_coefficient. Would this formula work for a catapult.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Torque = Torsional spring constant x angle of twist of one end of spring relative to other end .

So in principle to get a value for the torsional spring constant for your rope spring you need to measure the relative angle of twist which results when you input a range of known torques .

Can you see a practical way of doing this ?

I see in your other thread that you want to calculate the torsional spring constant rather than measure it .

Not impossible but very difficult . Sensibly I suggest that you just get your answers experimentally .

Nidum said:
I see in your other thread that you want to calculate the torsional spring constant rather than measure it .

Not impossible but very difficult . Sensibly I suggest that you just get the your answers experimentally .
I'm willing to do either, the theoretical calculations are for the projectile, I think I figured out the spring constant for different tightness of the rope, by using fishing weight, to weigh the arm down to firing position, and then using Newtons second law to calculate the force of the weights on the arm. I imagined that the force of the weights is equal to the force of the spring but in the opposing direction, it worked out that the less taught the rope the less weight were need as i expected. But I have no idea how to measure the displacement, or if the normal hooks law formula even applies for a torsion spring

Buggsy GC said:
I'm willing to do either, the theoretical calculations are for the projectile, I think I figured out the spring constant for different tightness of the rope, by using fishing weight, to weigh the arm down to firing position, and then using Newtons second law to calculate the force of the weights on the arm. I imagined that the force of the weights is equal to the force of the spring but in the opposing direction, it worked out that the less taught the rope the less weight were need as i expected. But I have no idea how to measure the displacement, or if the normal hooks law formula even applies for a torsion spring
I thought maybe you could use the arc angle of the catapult, but I can't find any info to confirm this idea

Buggsy GC said:
You need to predict and plot the theoretical trajectory based on the parameters of
your own model catapult using Excel and include the figure in your report (Section 8

My iinterpretation is that you only need calculations for time, velocity, angle, and distance for the projectile starting at the insurance of release. You don't need the spring constant or anything for the time prior to release.

If you write the solution for the trajectory given initial velocity, height and, and angle (neglect air drag), that gives you distance to hit the ground. Then, use the result backward, solve for the velocity and angle for distance 1m and 2m.

Then, ignore your calculations and calibrate your catapult experimentally. Say for example that you measure it's throw to be 2.2m. Then move the catapult back 0.2 meters and the next throw should land on the 2m mark. You can attach a 0.2m stick to the front to make your catapult come up exactly to the starting line. Then move the catapult back 1m, make the stick in front 1.2m long and the next throw should hit the 1m target. No need to readjust the catapult throw, just adjust the start position.

Your enemy to success might be variability. If ten similar throws give 10 different distances thrown, then you have a problem, and calculations become even more useless. Calibrating your catapult should include measuring the variability of distance with repeated throws,

In that case,the idea I suggested with a water balloon projectile may help, because the water will spread a half meter or so after bursting. That gives you a wide range of landing points that still hit the target.

When you know the projectile initial velocity ##v##, you know how much energy is required to get to that velocity, i.e. ##\frac{1}{2}mv^2##, where ##m## is the projectile mass. So your spring must release at least this amount of energy for this to happen. The equation you presented represents the amount of energy stored in a spring. So the energy stored when the spring is loaded, ##\frac{1}{2}K\theta_f^2##, minus the energy stored when the spring is fully released ##\frac{1}{2}K\theta_i^2## (You may preload the spring by an initial angle ##\theta_i##) must at least be equal to the desired kinetic energy of your projectile or:
$$\frac{1}{2}mv^2 = \frac{1}{2}K\left(\theta_f^2 - \theta_i^2\right)$$
$$K = \frac{mv^2}{\theta_f^2 - \theta_i^2}$$
You will probably need more than that as some energy will be moving and deforming the catapult, but that is your starting point.

Normally, ##\theta_f## should be equal to the maximum torsion you can apply to your spring without breaking it (depends on the material and design of the spring) and ##\theta_i## will be equal to ##\theta_f## minus the angular displacement of your catapult. If the spring constant ##K## corresponds or is smaller to the one of the spring you analyzed, then it is a match. If it is smaller, then you can fine tune the preload angle ##\theta_i## to reduce the amount of energy stored and get the actual velocity you want.

Nidum said:
Torque = Torsional spring constant x angle of twist of one end of spring relative to other end .

Do we have any real reason to believe that this system is linear? I would certainly question this.

I suspect that the "constant" is not really constant at all, but rather depends upon the tension in the rope spring.

Would it be the rate that is affected by tension; or, simply the force at a given deflection?

JBA said:
Would it be the rate that is affected by tension; or, simply the force at a given deflection?

That's a tough question, one that I don't think we can even guess at without knowing a lot more details. I simply doubt that the whole system is linear and constant in all respects.

It might not be too bad. Usually the rope has a lot of twists even at the rest position and the difference between rest and firing position is only a small angle (<90 degrees) by comparison?

Buggsy GC said:
I think I figured out the spring constant for different tightness of the rope, by using fishing weight, to weigh the arm down to firing position, and then using Newtons second law to calculate the force of the weights on the arm. I imagined that the force of the weights is equal to the force of the spring but in the opposing direction, it worked out that the less taught the rope the less weight were need as i expected.

I think you need to measure the change in torque between the rest position and the firing position (in Newton Meters)

But I have no idea how to measure the displacement, or if the normal hooks law formula even applies for a torsion spring

The displacement is the change in angle between the rest position and the firing position (in Radians).

The spring constant is one divided by the other.

Going back to anorlundas statement: how do I find the initial velocity if the catapults arm is already moving before the projectile is released by the cross bar, do I need to do a previouse kinematic equation starting from the projectile at firing position. 2nd I thought I had to use the spring constant based off this source http://people.cs.ksu.edu/~nhb7817/ScratchCurriculum/Catapult/Physics Calculations for a Mangonel.pdf
Which states that PE=KErotational of the arm the main difference was these were the calculations for a rubber band mangonel instead of a torsion role model like mine.

CWatters said:
I think you need to measure the change in torque between the rest position and the firing position (in Newton Meters)
The displacement is the change in angle between the rest position and the firing position (in Radians).

The spring constant is one divided by the other.
How do I measure the change in torque, I thought torque was the equivalent to Force except in the rotational axis e.g. F=ma, and τ=ια

anorlunda said:
My iinterpretation is that you only need calculations for time, velocity, angle, and distance for the projectile starting at the insurance of release. You don't need the spring constant or anything for the time prior to release.

If you write the solution for the trajectory given initial velocity, height and, and angle (neglect air drag), that gives you distance to hit the ground. Then, use the result backward, solve for the velocity and angle for distance 1m and 2m.

Then, ignore your calculations and calibrate your catapult experimentally. Say for example that you measure it's throw to be 2.2m. Then move the catapult back 0.2 meters and the next throw should land on the 2m mark. You can attach a 0.2m stick to the front to make your catapult come up exactly to the starting line. Then move the catapult back 1m, make the stick in front 1.2m long and the next throw should hit the 1m target. No need to readjust the catapult throw, just adjust the start position.

Your enemy to success might be variability. If ten similar throws give 10 different distances thrown, then you have a problem, and calculations become even more useless. Calibrating your catapult should include measuring the variability of distance with repeated throws,

In that case,the idea I suggested with a water balloon projectile may help, because the water will spread a half meter or so after bursting. That gives you a wide range of landing points that still hit the target.
I've tested the catapult with marbles and it hits the target nearly every time or it's with in the accepted radius

Buggsy GC said:
How do I measure the change in torque, I thought torque was the equivalent to Force except in the rotational axis e.g. F=ma, and τ=ια
Torque = force * radius

If you are hanging weights on the arm the radius is the distance from the pivot to where the weights are attached.

CWatters said:
Torque = force * radius

If you are hanging weights on the arm the radius is the distance from the pivot to where the weights are attached.
awesome so originally I just placed the weights on the firing cup, so does that mean I can just use the distance from the cup to the pivot point. and then once I have the torque of the spring I can rearrange the Equation τ=-kθ^2 to -τ/θ^2=k, and this will give me the spring constant for the torsion rope spring of my catapult

Last edited:
Buggsy GC said:
awesome so originally I just placed the weights on the firing cup, so does that mean I can just use the distance from the cup to the pivot point.

Yes although strictly speaking you need to ensure the force (gravity acting on the weights) is at 90 degrees to the arm otherwise you need to calculate the lever arm length as ..

675054874.gif

Likes Buggsy GC
Eg measure the torque like this...

Measuring the torque.png

thank CWatters and every one else this was a huge help. also even though we are dealing with rotational motion the angle can still be measured in degrees instead of radians correct, also would the PE of the spring 1/2kθ^2 still

Last edited:
Buggsy GC said:
thank CWatters and every one else this was a huge help.

Last question for this chat (I hope) i have been doing all the theoretical calculations with formulas I know and the once you gave me but my answer for the distance is a lot bigger to the distance i covered with the same weights to measure the force in real life, can anyone see where I have made a mistake. the distance the marble actually travel was 1 meter and the weight used to measure the torque was 190g with the length of the arm at a 90 degree angle to gravity. my calculations so far are in the attachment

Attachments

• Buggsy GC scrap catapult calculations.docx
    14.2 KB · Views: 354
If you want the spring constant in Nm/degree then measure the distance(angle) in degrees. If you want it in Nm/radian measure it in radians.

CWatters said:
If you want the spring constant in Nm/degree then measure the distance(angle) in degrees. If you want it in Nm/radian measure it in radians.
I just tried that then my answere are still pretty much the same they just changed a couple of decimal points

Buggsy GC said:
I just tried that then my answere are still pretty much the same they just changed a couple of decimal points
I think I got initial velocity wrong

Last edited:
Never mind I figured it out I'm sorry it took so long, I went back to some articles and remembered that catapult are really energy inefficient especially my design, and once you factor that energy inefficiency percentage, all the answers made sense, I was consistently off my over a factor of 10. Thank you for all your help

1. What is a rope torsion spring?

A rope torsion spring is a type of spring that uses a twisted rope or cable to create tension and store potential energy. It is commonly used in various mechanical systems, such as door hinges and garage door openers.

2. Why is it important to find the spring constant for a rope torsion spring?

The spring constant is a measure of the stiffness of a spring and determines how much force is needed to stretch or compress the spring. In the case of a rope torsion spring, knowing the spring constant is crucial for understanding its behavior and ensuring it is properly designed for the intended application.

3. How do I calculate the spring constant for a rope torsion spring?

The spring constant, also known as the torsion coefficient, can be calculated by dividing the torque applied to the spring by the angle of twist. The equation is K = T/θ, where K is the spring constant, T is the torque, and θ is the angle of twist in radians.

4. What factors affect the spring constant of a rope torsion spring?

The spring constant of a rope torsion spring can be affected by several factors, including the material and diameter of the rope, the number of coils in the spring, and the geometry of the spring (such as the diameter and length of the coil).

5. Can the spring constant of a rope torsion spring change over time?

Yes, the spring constant can change over time due to factors such as wear and tear, temperature changes, and stress relaxation. It is important to regularly check and adjust the spring constant if necessary to maintain the proper functioning of the spring.