How Do I Find the Volume of a Solid Revolved Around the y-Axis?

• Thread starter Swerting
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Revolution
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume of a solid formed by revolving a region bounded by a logarithmic function, the x-axis, and a line about the y-axis. The solution involves using the method of shells and the formula V=2\pi\int(ln(x))dx from 1 to e.
Swerting

Homework Statement

Let R be the region bounded by the graph y=(1/x)ln(x), the x-axis, and the line x=e.
Find the volume of the solid formed by revolving the region R about the y-axis.

The interval should be (on the x-axis) from 1 to e
and from the y-axis, it should be from 1 to (1/e)

the area of the region is 1/2

Homework Equations

[tex]V=\pi\int(top^2-bottom^2) over an interval [/tex]
(at least, that is what I use when rotating an area over the x-axis, I've never had the y-axis before)

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to get the area quite easily, but when reading on how to find the volume, it said to write the equations in terms of y, so Iwas able to get f(y)=e REALLY easily, but I am having problems getting the other equation in terms of y, and I'm not even sure one can do so! If this is the case, how should I approach solving this problem? Thanks for any replies.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's a LOT easier to do this problem using the method of shells rather than the disk or washer method. Integrate the area of a cylindrical shell from 0 to e.

alright, I understand a little better now, thank you, but it still seems that I have to take that nasty function with a natural log, y=(1/x)ln(x), and write that in terms of y, which I am having problems doing. Is that possible or am I still headed downthe wrong path. :confused:

That's the point to using cylinders, you don't have to solve for x in terms of y. The height of the cylinder is (1/x)*ln(x). What's the radius of cylinder?

Dick said:
That's the point to using cylinders, you don't have to solve for x in terms of y. The height of the cylinder is (1/x)*ln(x). What's the radius of cylinder?
Wouldn't that be dy? hmmmm... I think I may be able to get it with a little more brain power! Thank you very much for your help.

Swerting said:
Wouldn't that be dy? hmmmm... I think I may be able to get it with a little more brain power! Thank you very much for your help.

I'll give you a blunt hint. The radius is x.

Dick said:
I'll give you a blunt hint. The radius is x.
yeeeeeup. After a few more searches on google and some rought drawings, I figured it out!
My formula should be :
[tex]V=2\pi\int(x((1/x)ln(x))dx) from 1 to e[/tex]
which becomes...
[tex]V=2\pi\int(ln(x))dx from 1 to e[/tex]

So! Thank you very much again for your help! It is greatly appreciated.

Related to How Do I Find the Volume of a Solid Revolved Around the y-Axis?

What is revolution about the y-axis?

Revolution about the y-axis is a mathematical concept in which a 2-dimensional shape is rotated around the y-axis to create a 3-dimensional object. This is also known as rotational symmetry.

How is revolution about the y-axis different from revolution about the x-axis?

The main difference is the axis of rotation. In revolution about the y-axis, the shape is rotated around the vertical y-axis, while in revolution about the x-axis, the shape is rotated around the horizontal x-axis.

What are some real-life examples of revolution about the y-axis?

Some examples include the rotation of a Ferris wheel, the orbit of a planet around the sun, and the spinning of a top.

What is the formula for calculating the volume of a shape after revolution about the y-axis?

The formula for calculating the volume is V = π∫ab(f(x))2dx, where a and b represent the limits of integration and f(x) is the function that defines the shape's cross-section.

How is revolution about the y-axis useful in real-world applications?

Revolution about the y-axis is used in engineering, architecture, and other fields to create 3-dimensional objects from 2-dimensional shapes. It is also used in physics to understand rotational motion and in computer graphics to create 3D models.