Volume of revolution around the y-axis

In summary, the problem involves finding the height and volume of a bowl created by rotating a given function around the y-axis. The solution involves using integrals to calculate the volume of the bowl. The height is found by determining the maximum y-value from the arcsin function, and the volume is calculated by using the shell method. The region of integration is bounded by the lines x = 6 and x = 7 and the given curve. The inner surface of the resulting solid is concave and the outer surface is cylindrical. The center of the bowl is a standard cylinder and can be solved without integration.
Kqwert

Homework Statement

Hello,

a bowl is created when rotating the function

[tex]f(x) =
\begin{cases}
0, & 0 \leq x \lt 6 \\
(12/\pi)arcsin(x-6), & 6\leq x \leq 7
\end{cases}[/tex]

around the y-axis. Find the height (h) and the volume (V) of the bowl.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I graphed the problem and found the height to be 6 (maximum y-value from the arcsin function). Apparently this is wrong. Why?
For the volume, I considered the integrals
[tex]
\int_0^6 2\pi(6-0)x \, dx[/tex] and [tex]2\pi \int_6^7 (2/\pi)arcsin(x-6)x \, dx[/tex]

and then adding them together. Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kqwert said:

Homework Statement

Hello,

[tex]f(x) =
\begin{cases}
0, & 0 \leq x \lt 6 \\
(12/\pi)arcsin(x-6), & 6\leq x \leq 7
\end{cases}[/tex]

around the y-axis. Find the height (h) and the volume (V) of the bowl.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I graphed the problem and found the height to be 6 (maximum y-value from the arcsin function). Apparently this is wrong. Why?
Why do you think the height is wrong? The max. value from the arcsin function is 1, and the max. value from 12/pi arcsin(x - 6) is attained when x = 7.
Kqwert said:
For the volume, I considered the integrals
[tex]
\int_0^6 2\pi(6-0)x \, dx[/tex] and [tex]2\pi \int_6^7 (2/\pi)arcsin(x-6)x \, dx[/tex]

and then adding them together.
The first integral doesn't make sense, nor does adding them together.
Kqwert said:
Where did I go wrong?
You don't have the radius right -- it should be x + 6.

Apparently you are using shells to get the volume. Start with a reasonably accurate sketch of the region that will be revolved. This will be a roughly triangular region. A typical area element is a thin vertical strip going from the x-axis to the arcsine curve. When this strip is revolved around the y-axis, it forms a thin shell. What is the volume of this shell volume element?

Last edited:
For both of the integrals or only the last one?

Kqwert said:
For both of the integrals or only the last one?
I've edited my earlier post, so take a look at it again. Your first integral doesn't make any sense.

The area bounded by the red and green lines are our area, right? (see thumbnail) If so, then from x = 6 to x = 7 the volume should be
[tex] \int_6^7 2\pi(6-(12/\pi)arcsin(x-6))(6+x) \, dx[/tex]

Correct..?

Attachments

• Skjermbilde 2018-11-19 kl. 18.28.40.png
    Skjermbilde 2018-11-19 kl. 18.28.40.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 382
Kqwert said:
The area bounded by the red and green lines are our area, right? (see thumbnail) If so, then from x = 6 to x = 7 the volume should be

Correct..?
Looks good to me...

Mark44 said:
Looks good to me...
Thanks! but what about the "center" of the bowl? i.e. 0 < x < 6. I guess I can solve this without integration, but how do I solve it w integration?

Kqwert said:
Thanks! but what about the "center" of the bowl? i.e. 0 < x < 6. I guess I can solve this without integration, but how do I solve it w integration?
As I understand the problem, the bottom of the "bowl" is the plane formed from rotation the x-axis around the y-axis. Using the shell method, the region of integration is bounded by the lines x = 6, x = 7, and the curve. The shells are generated from thin strips between x = 6 and x = 7, so those are the limits of integration.

If this isn't the region of integration, but is instead the region bounded by the lines x = 6, y = 6, and the curve, then revolving that region around the y-axis gives a whole different solid of revolution, with a different volume. Is there a picture in your textbook of what the solid should look like?

No, it´s just given as I described in the first post.

Kqwert said:
The problem statement as posted isn't clear to me. I've been assuming that the sort of triangular region bounded by the x-axis, the line x = 7, and the curve is revolved around the y-axis. This would make a figure whose outer surface is a cylinder and whose inner surface is concave.

The integral you set up made me think that's what the solid is.

If the inner surface looks the same as the outer surface, then your first integral in post #1 looks fine, but the second integral doesn't. You are apparently using thin vertical strips, but between x = 6 and x = 7, your strips run from the x-axis up to the arcsine curve, which is wrong. They should instead run from the curve up to the line y = 6.

But wouldn't the area between the line y = 6 and the arcsin curve, between x = 6 and x = 7, be the integral in post #5?

Kqwert said:
The center is a standard cylinder. You probably learned how to compute its volume years before you studied calculus----it is just high-school geometry. In any case, just about every calculus textbook ever written will have sections in which such simple volumes are computed by integration.

Yeah, still get the wrong answer though, not sure if I am computing the correct volume.

Kqwert said:
But wouldn't the area between the line y = 6 and the arcsin curve, between x = 6 and x = 7, be the integral in post #5?
Yes, and the total volume would be that plus the volume of the cylinder in the middle.

I'm a bit late to this thread, but surely wouldn't the natural way to set up this problem be using disks and a dy integral:
$$V = \int_0^6 \pi \left ( 6+\sin(\frac{\pi }{12}y)\right)^2~dy$$

LCKurtz said:
I'm a bit late to this thread, but surely wouldn't the natural way to set up this problem be using disks and a dy integral
Same thought occurred to me, as well.

In the curriculum we have only been through the disk method for rotation around the x-axis and cylindrical shells for rotation around the y-axis.

Kqwert said:
In the curriculum we have only been through the disk method for rotation around the x-axis and cylindrical shells for rotation around the y-axis.

So, what is stopping you from using either one on this problem?

You have seen both methods, and there is no good reason for limiting yourself to only one kind for any given problem.

Kqwert said:

Correct..?
This is even later to the thread.

Here you have the correct height for a shell,
## \left(6-\frac{12}{\pi}\arcsin(x-6)\right)##​
but the radius for a shell is ##\ x\ ## as you had originally.

This gives the following for the volume generated by the portion of the function lying between x=6 and x=7.
## \displaystyle{\int_6^7} \left(2 \pi \left(6-\frac{12}{\pi}\arcsin(x-6)\right)(x)\right) \, dx ##

Thanks!

but what about the inner portion of the bowl? i.e. from 0 < x < 6. Is it pi*6^3..?

Kqwert said:
Thanks!

but what about the inner portion of the bowl? i.e. from 0 < x < 6. Is it pi*6^3..?
From Mark44 (post #10):
Mark44 said:

If the inner surface looks the same as the outer surface, then your first integral in post #1 looks fine, ...
So, the integral ##\displaystyle\ \int_0^6 2\pi(6-0)x \, dx\ ## gives the volume swept out by (height −ƒ(x)) for 0 ≤ x ≤ 6, where the height is 6 units. That is ##\ 6^3\pi\ ## as you asked.

Last edited:

What is the "volume of revolution around the y-axis"?

The volume of revolution around the y-axis is a mathematical concept that involves rotating a two-dimensional shape around the y-axis to create a three-dimensional solid. This solid has a certain volume that can be calculated using specific formulas.

What is the formula for calculating volume of revolution around the y-axis?

The formula for calculating volume of revolution around the y-axis is V = π∫(f(x))^2dx, where f(x) is the function that defines the cross-sectional area of the solid at any given point along the y-axis.

Can the volume of revolution around the y-axis be negative?

No, the volume of revolution around the y-axis cannot be negative. This is because volume is a measure of space and cannot have a negative value.

What are some real-life applications of volume of revolution around the y-axis?

Volume of revolution around the y-axis is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and architecture. For example, it can be used to calculate the volume of a water tank, the displacement of a rotating object, or the volume of a 3D printed object.

What are some common shapes that can be rotated around the y-axis to calculate their volume of revolution?

Some common shapes that can be rotated around the y-axis include circles, ellipses, parabolas, and hyperbolas. These shapes can be rotated about their own axes or a different axis, and their volumes of revolution can be calculated accordingly.