How do I get an A in Bio AP if I know nothing about Biology?

In summary: You need to buckle down and put in the work. If you don't understand the material, discuss it with your teacher and try to do some additional reading. You may also need to buy an AP biology prep book.
peel
So basically when I took Biology G/T Freshman year of High School, I never listened in class or did the homework since my life was absorbed by video games (ending with a C average in class, almost a D). Now, as a senior, I am taking Biology AP however I really want to turn over a new leaf (and get an A). The problem is: nothing makes sense in Biology AP since everything seems to branc off of Bio GT. Also, due to the workload I have, our class has already covered several chapters in the book and I have unfortunately failed the tests on them since I didnt have time to study or figure out how to study. But now I do have time. For a guy who knows next to nothing about Biology and is already around a quarter behind in Biology AP, what should I do to learn the stuff I need to and catch up?? (Also, in class, the teacher doesn't really teach, she does a bunch of labs, and tests us, and occasionally gives us worksheets)

Also, my textbook is the Black 'Biology' book by Campbell Reece 7th Edition. What chapters/parts should I read to catch up (as obviously I shouldn't/cant read the entire thing)? And what else should I do (maybe buy an AP bio prep book?)?

Biology news on Phys.org
I think you need to talk to your teacher and ask her these questions. Without knowing what topics you're covering, or what order, it's hard to know what you've missed. Aside from talking to your teacher, and perhaps arranging a tutor to help you catch up, the best starting place is probably to go through your old assignments and tests and make sure you understand the material on them.

I'm surprised your school allowed you to take an AP biology course if you did poorly in your first bio course. Usually those courses are reserved for the honors students who have gotten As or Bs in their prior classes in the subject.

Work. Work, then work some more. There is no easy way out of this one.

1. How much time do I need to dedicate to studying for Bio AP if I know nothing about Biology?

The amount of time needed to study for Bio AP will vary for each individual. It is recommended to set aside at least 1-2 hours each day to review class notes, complete practice problems, and study for exams. Consistent and dedicated studying is key to success in any subject, especially if you have little prior knowledge.

2. How can I catch up on the material I missed if I joined the class late?

If you joined the class late, it is important to communicate with your teacher to get a list of missed assignments, notes, and any additional resources. It may also be helpful to form a study group with classmates to review material together and ask for help when needed.

3. What are the most important topics to focus on in order to get an A in Bio AP?

The most important topics to focus on in Bio AP will vary depending on your teacher and the curriculum. However, some key topics to focus on include cell biology, genetics, evolution, and ecology. It is also important to have a strong understanding of scientific processes and experimental design.

4. How can I improve my understanding of difficult concepts in Biology?

One of the best ways to improve your understanding of difficult concepts in Biology is to actively engage with the material. This can include taking thorough notes, asking questions in class, completing practice problems, and seeking help from your teacher or a tutor. It may also be helpful to use visual aids, such as diagrams and charts, to better understand complex processes.

5. What resources are available to help me succeed in Bio AP?

There are many resources available to help you succeed in Bio AP. Your teacher is a valuable resource and can provide you with additional materials and support. You can also utilize online resources such as study guides, practice tests, and educational videos. Additionally, forming a study group with classmates can be beneficial as you can work together to review material and prepare for exams.