How do I get the viscosity of a mash mixture in brewing?

In summary: Internet.In summary, the individual is seeking advice on designing a mash tun for producing beer. They have 1300kg of malted barley at a known density and 3250kg of water. One of their main struggles is accounting for the density change of the malt when it absorbs water. They are looking for online sources or advice from a commercial brewer. Another individual suggests looking into BDV viscometers for measuring liquid density.
Will26040
TL;DR Summary
How do I get the viscosity of a mash mixture in brewing? Please read
Hi, I am designing a mash tun to produce beer. I have 1300kg of malted barley (at a known density) and 3250kg of water. Please could someone outline a method I could use as I am really struggling. One of the main problems I am having is accounting for the density change of the malt when it absorbs water. Are there any online sources that could help? thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Will26040 said:
Hi, I am designing a mash tun to produce beer. I have 1300kg of malted barley (at a known density) and 3250kg of water. Please could someone outline a method I could use as I am really struggling. One of the main problems I am having is accounting for the density change of the malt when it absorbs water. Are there any online sources that could help? thanks
That sounds like a commercial production level piece of equipment. This is going to vary a lot by the beer, so I'd see if you can get a commercial brewer to discuss it with you or see what existing equipment is out there.

There are many brew pubs with enthusiastic owners. Try one!
I agree with @russ_watters - for what you want, you are likely dealing with production equipment. And you are not considering density - of the liquid. Correct?

Likes russ_watters
Google BDV viscometers

1. What is the purpose of measuring the viscosity of a mash mixture in brewing?

The viscosity of a mash mixture is an important parameter to measure in brewing because it gives an indication of the thickness and flow properties of the mixture. This can affect the efficiency of the brewing process and the quality of the final product.

2. How is the viscosity of a mash mixture measured?

The viscosity of a mash mixture can be measured using a viscometer, which is a device that measures the resistance of a fluid to flow. There are different types of viscometers, such as rotational viscometers and falling ball viscometers, that use different methods to measure viscosity.

3. What factors can affect the viscosity of a mash mixture?

The viscosity of a mash mixture can be affected by several factors, including the temperature of the mixture, the type and amount of grains used, the pH level, and the amount of water added. Changes in any of these factors can result in a change in the viscosity of the mash mixture.

4. How does the viscosity of a mash mixture impact the brewing process?

The viscosity of a mash mixture can impact the brewing process in several ways. A higher viscosity can result in slower filtration and longer mashing times, while a lower viscosity can lead to a thinner and less flavorful final product. It is important for brewers to monitor and adjust the viscosity of the mash mixture to achieve the desired results.

5. How can the viscosity of a mash mixture be adjusted?

The viscosity of a mash mixture can be adjusted by changing the temperature, pH level, or water content of the mixture. Adding certain enzymes or using different types of grains can also impact the viscosity. It may take some trial and error to find the optimal viscosity for a specific brewing recipe.