How do I go about the calculations for an air conveyor?

In summary, this expert summarizer provides a detailed analysis of the conversation, which includes answering questions about the mechanics of an air conveyor, the dimensions of the table, the pressure needed to float objects, and the air flow needed to operate the conveyor.
Luchee
TL;DR Summary
I am trying fabricate a contactless air conveyor.
How do I go about the calculations for an air conveyor that has the same working principle as an air hockey table?
The conveyor should not he bulky seeing as it is a prototype.
Please help me.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

You are starting with a small prototype, but will find later that, at a realistic scale, the game changes entirely. You must develop an understanding of the principles, and restrict your design to a conveyor that can be operated economically, without a waste of compressed air. Calculations will be needed to select the character or topology of the system. Calculations will then be needed to optimise the selected design.

The design complexity can be reduced by considering the possible answers to the following questions.
1. Will there be a standard moving puck or tray to support all loads, or will the items moved have an integrated puck, and so be restricted to fit the conveyor line ?
2. How will items be propelled to move along the line ?
3. How will you reduce the air supply to parts of the conveyor bed that are not being used ?

Luchee said:
TL;DR Summary: I am trying fabricate a contactless air conveyor.

How do I go about the calculations for an air conveyor that has the same working principle as an air hockey table?
You start by defining in detail exactly what you are conveying:

1) What are you conveying?
2) How heavy are they?
3) What are the dimensions of the surface of the objects in contact with the table?
4) How flat is the surface in contact with the table?
5) How rough is that surface?
6) Is the object porous?
7) Does the table need to move the objects, or merely float them?
8) What are the table dimensions of your prototype, and the finished table?

Use that information to calculate:
10) Calculate the average pressure to float the objects.
11) Calculate the minimum flow rate under the objects.
12) Calculate the plenum pressure.
13) Calculate the air flow through the uncovered holes (or use air table check valves).
14) Calculate total air flow.

Answering questions 1 through 8 above will give you the information to answer 10 and 11. I suggest that you give detailed answers to questions 1 through 8, then we can help you from there.

Likes Luchee
Thank you. I will start up on the findings and get back to you. Thank you very much

Likes berkeman
Luchee said:
Thank you. I will start up on the findings and get back to you. Thank you very much
if you have any updates in your work would love to get some info will help so much

1. What is the basic principle behind calculating the airflow needed for an air conveyor system?

To calculate the airflow required for an air conveyor system, you need to consider the weight and size of the materials to be transported, the desired speed of transportation, and the distance over which the materials need to be moved. The basic formula used is Q = A * v, where Q is the air flow rate, A is the cross-sectional area of the conveyor duct, and v is the velocity of the air. Adjustments are made based on the material's characteristics and system efficiency.

2. How do I determine the size of the blower for my air conveyor system?

The size of the blower for an air conveyor system is determined by the required air flow rate, pressure drop across the system, and the efficiency of the blower. First, calculate the total pressure drop in the system, which includes losses due to friction, bends, and elevation changes. Then, using the manufacturer's performance curves, select a blower that can deliver the required air flow at the calculated pressure drop.

3. What factors affect the efficiency of an air conveyor system?

Several factors can affect the efficiency of an air conveyor system, including the smoothness of the conveyor duct, the number and sharpness of bends in the system, the vertical lift, and the presence of leaks. Material characteristics such as particle size, shape, and density also play a critical role. Optimizing these factors can reduce energy consumption and improve system performance.

4. How do I calculate the velocity of air in the conveyor duct?

The velocity of air in the conveyor duct can be calculated using the formula v = Q / A, where Q is the air flow rate and A is the cross-sectional area of the duct. This calculation helps in ensuring that the air speed is sufficient to transport the material but not so high as to cause excessive wear or energy usage.

5. What maintenance considerations should I keep in mind for an air conveyor system?

Regular maintenance of an air conveyor system is crucial for its efficient operation. This includes checking for and sealing any leaks in the system, ensuring that the blower and motor are operating efficiently, regularly cleaning the ducts to prevent build-up of materials, and inspecting the system for wear and tear, especially at bends and junctions. Scheduled downtime for maintenance helps in prolonging the life of the system and reducing operational costs.