How do I modify plane waves to represent the EM field of a lightbulb?

In summary, the problem involves finding the relationship between irradiance (intensity) and distance from a light source, as well as the relationship between electric field amplitude and distance. The problem can be simplified by considering only the x-axis direction for the electric and magnetic fields. The final equations will not be exactly like plane waves, but can be modified to account for the decrease in amplitude over distance and the efficiency of the light source.
e101101
Homework Statement
Part c
Relevant Equations
B=Bocos(k•r±⍵t)
E=Eocos(k•r±⍵t)
Irradiance=P/A
I don't know where to start for part (c), I've managed to get (a) and (b).
Can someone simply guide me, I think I'm having trouble understanding what the teacher means by just having an x dependance...
Does this mean I only work with the x components of the magnetic field and the electric field? What about the direction fo propagation?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-19 at 12.09.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-19 at 12.09.44 PM.png
    81.5 KB · Views: 208
Physics news on Phys.org
e101101 said:
Homework Statement: Part c
Homework Equations: B=Bocos(k•r±⍵t)
E=Eocos(k•r±⍵t)
Irradiance=P/A

I don't know where to start for part (c), I've managed to get (a) and (b).
What is the relationship between irradiance*, [itex] I [/itex], and the electric field amplitude (by that I mean the electric field amplitude is the [itex] E_0 [/itex] in your [itex] E = E_0 \cos(kr \pm \omega t) [/itex] equation [Note: that equation, as it stands, doesn't apply to this problem. You'll have to modify it a little to apply to this problem])?

In this problem, the irradiance is a function of distance from the light source. What is the relationship between irradiance and distance, in this problem?

Now, based on the above, what is the relationship between the electric field amplitude and distance from the light source?

*(here I'm assuming that "irradiance" is synonymous with "intensity.")

Can someone simply guide me, I think I'm having trouble understanding what the teacher means by just having an x dependance...
Does this mean I only work with the x components of the magnetic field and the electric field? What about the direction fo propagation?
I'm pretty sure it just means that you don't need to worry about forming equations in 3-dimensions for all space. Just concentrate on a single direction (specifically, that direction being the x-axis).

The direction of propagation is the x-axis. So all you need to do is determine [itex] E [/itex] and [itex] B [/itex] as measured along the x-axis.

Also, I don't think the problem is asking for the actual directions of the electric and magnetic field vectors. It's assumed that [itex] \vec E [/itex] and [itex] \vec B [/itex] are perpendicular to each other, and both are perpendicular to the direction of wave propagation.

Rather, I think the problem is just asking you to find the magnitudes of [itex] E [/itex] and [itex] B [/itex], as a function of distance from the light source.

collinsmark said:
What is the relationship between irradiance*, [itex] I [/itex], and the electric field amplitude (by that I mean the electric field amplitude is the [itex] E_0 [/itex] in your [itex] E = E_0 \cos(kr \pm \omega t) [/itex] equation [Note: that equation, as it stands, doesn't apply to this problem. You'll have to modify it a little to apply to this problem])?

In this problem, the irradiance is a function of distance from the light source. What is the relationship between irradiance and distance, in this problem?

Now, based on the above, what is the relationship between the electric field amplitude and distance from the light source?

*(here I'm assuming that "irradiance" is synonymous with "intensity.")I'm pretty sure it just means that you don't need to worry about forming equations in 3-dimensions for all space. Just concentrate on a single direction (specifically, that direction being the x-axis).

The direction of propagation is the x-axis. So all you need to do is determine [itex] E [/itex] and [itex] B [/itex] as measured along the x-axis.

Thank you so much for your reply!
Would I have to consider spherical waves in this problem? Or can I simply treat them as plane waves moving in the x direction (because of the conditions given in the problem).

If I can treat it as a planar wave i would write an equation like:
Ex=Eo(kx±⍵t)

The relationship between irradiance and the amplitudes would be: (1/μ0)(BoEo)
and since Bo=Eo/c
we can rewrite as (1/μ0)(Eo**2)/c

e101101 said:
Thank you so much for your reply!
Would I have to consider spherical waves in this problem? Or can I simply treat them as plane waves moving in the x direction (because of the conditions given in the problem).

If I can treat it as a planar wave i would write an equation like:
Ex=Eo(kx±⍵t)

The relationship between irradiance and the amplitudes would be: (1/μ0)(BoEo)
and since Bo=Eo/c
we can rewrite as (1/μ0)(Eo**2)/c
Your final answers will be something sort of like plane waves, but not exactly like plane waves. In other words, modify your

[itex] E = E_0 \cos (kr \pm \omega t) [/itex]
[itex] B = B_0 \cos (kr \pm \omega t) [/itex]

equations such that the (a) amplitude falls off appropriately as a function of distance and (b) instead of using the constants [itex] E_0 [/itex] and [itex] B_0 [/itex] use some other expressions that relate to a 80 W light bulb at 50% efficiency.

1. How do plane waves represent the EM field of a lightbulb?

Plane waves are a mathematical representation of the electromagnetic (EM) field. They are a simplified model used to understand the behavior of light and other EM waves. In reality, the EM field of a lightbulb is much more complex and cannot be fully represented by plane waves alone.

2. Can plane waves be modified to accurately represent the EM field of a lightbulb?

Yes, plane waves can be modified to better represent the EM field of a lightbulb. This is done by combining multiple plane waves with different amplitudes, frequencies, and directions of propagation. This creates a more complex wave that better approximates the actual EM field.

3. What is the importance of modifying plane waves to represent a lightbulb's EM field?

Modifying plane waves allows us to better understand the behavior of light and other EM waves in real-life scenarios. It also helps us to design and optimize light sources, such as lightbulbs, for specific purposes.

4. How do I calculate the parameters for modified plane waves to represent a lightbulb's EM field?

Calculating the parameters for modified plane waves can be a complex task and often requires advanced mathematical techniques. It involves analyzing the geometry and material properties of the lightbulb, as well as the desired characteristics of the EM field. This is typically done using computer simulations or specialized software.

5. Are there any limitations to using modified plane waves to represent a lightbulb's EM field?

While modified plane waves can provide a more accurate representation of the EM field of a lightbulb, there are still limitations. For example, they may not fully capture the effects of scattering or diffraction, which are common in real-world scenarios. Additionally, the accuracy of the representation may vary depending on the complexity of the lightbulb and the parameters used for the modified plane waves.