How do I prove the statement p(n)= n >(or equal to) 0 using induction?

In summary, proof by induction on n is a method of mathematical proof used to prove statements about natural numbers by showing that a statement is true for a base case and then using this base case to prove it for all subsequent natural numbers. This method should be used for statements that follow a pattern or have a recursive definition, but it has limitations as it can only be used for natural numbers and may not work for statements without a clear pattern. To write a clear proof by induction on n, it is important to clearly state the base case and inductive step, use precise language and notation, and provide visual aids if necessary.
Jtechguy21

Homework Statement

induction_zpse3cae906.jpg

a)Prove, by induction on n, that for all n ∈ N(natural numbers), Distance(x,y)<or equal to 0b)Prove, by induction on n, that for all n ∈ N(natural numbers), Distance(x,y)<or equal to n

Homework Equations

proof by induction:

Base case P(1)

then assume p(k) is true
then prove p(k+1) is also true by induction.

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright so I have been practicing induction problems in my discrete mathematics class,
however I am not quite sure where to start.
I just need some guidance to starting the problem. (the algorithm throws me off, I am new to coding)
I do understand the concept of induction.

Specifically...

In part a, What exactly is the statement that I am proving by induction?
p(n)= n >(or equal to) 0 is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jtechguy21 said:

Homework Statement

induction_zpse3cae906.jpg

a)Prove, by induction on n, that for all n ∈ N(natural numbers), Distance(x,y)<or equal to 0b)Prove, by induction on n, that for all n ∈ N(natural numbers), Distance(x,y)<or equal to n

Homework Equations

proof by induction:

Base case P(1)

then assume p(k) is true
then prove p(k+1) is also true by induction.

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright so I have been practicing induction problems in my discrete mathematics class,
however I am not quite sure where to start.
I just need some guidance to starting the problem. (the algorithm throws me off, I am new to coding)
I do understand the concept of induction.

Specifically...

In part a, What exactly is the statement that I am proving by induction?
p(n)= n >(or equal to) 0 is this correct?

In part (a), you're meant to show that this function, ##\mathrm{Distance}(x,y)##, assigns a non-negative value to a pair of binary strings. In order to do that, you need to first understand the function. And in order to do that, you got to figure out what the algorithm is doing.

The first tricky bit is understanding the meaning of the ##\oplus## operator. Your book tells you that this is meant to represent "exclusive or" but that's not really all that helpful. Basically, given ##a,b\in\{0,1\}##, ##a\oplus b=0## if ##a=b## and ##a\oplus b=1## if ##a\neq b##. Or to put it another way, ##a\oplus b=|a-b|##. Or to put it yet another way - a way that gets at the heart of the "exclusive or" business - ##a\oplus b=1## if and only if either ##a=1## or ##b=1##, but not both.

Now given that, if I tell you that ##\mathrm{Distance}(x,y)=\sum\limits_{i=1}^n|x_i-y_i|##, can you figure out how the algorithm works? Note that this formula make the problem trivial, and completely doable without induction. So I give it only so that you may understand the algorithm.

Also the ##p(n)## statement for part (a) would look something like, "If ##x## and ##y## are binary strings of length ##n##, then ##\mathrm{Distance}(x,y)\geq 0##."

The main idea is that you can prove the infinitely many statements p(1), p(2), p(3),... by proving only the following two statements:

p(1)
For all integers n such that n≥1, if p(n) then p(n+1).
For each integer n such that n≥1, the statement p(n) is...actually I see now that gopher_p has already told you what it is, so you can just look at the last line of his post.

1. What is proof by induction on n?

Proof by induction on n is a method of mathematical proof used to prove statements about natural numbers. It involves showing that a statement is true for a base case, typically n=1, and then using this base case to prove that the statement is true for all subsequent natural numbers, known as the inductive step. This allows for the statement to be proven for an infinite number of cases.

2. How does proof by induction on n work?

Proof by induction on n works by breaking down a statement about natural numbers into a base case and an inductive step. The base case is usually the simplest case, such as n=1, and is used to show that the statement is true for this case. The inductive step then uses the assumption that the statement is true for n=k, where k is any natural number, to prove that it is also true for n=k+1. This step can then be repeated indefinitely, proving the statement for all natural numbers.

3. When should proof by induction on n be used?

Proof by induction on n should be used when attempting to prove statements about natural numbers that follow a pattern or have a recursive definition. It is most useful when the statement being proven involves a variable n that represents the number of times a certain operation is performed or the number of objects in a set.

4. What are the limitations of proof by induction on n?

Proof by induction on n can only be used to prove statements about natural numbers. It cannot be used for statements about real numbers or other types of mathematical objects. Additionally, it may not be a suitable method for proving statements that do not have a clear pattern or recursive definition.

5. Are there any tips for writing a clear proof by induction on n?

One tip for writing a clear proof by induction on n is to clearly state the base case and the inductive step. It is also important to use precise mathematical language and notation, and to clearly explain how the inductive hypothesis is used in the inductive step. Additionally, providing a visual representation or example of the statement being proven can help clarify the reasoning behind the proof.