How do i solve this problem based on magnetic data and the poles?

In summary, the geographic coordinates of a city are 75.55W and 45.40N while the geomagnetic coordinates are closer to the magnetic north pole at
subopolois
i have a question that involves geographic coordinates of a city and magnetic data here it is:
compare geomagnetic and geographic latitude to determine whether a city is closer to geographic of geemagnetic pole. the geographic coordinates are 75.55W and 45.40N. the horizontal and vertical magnetic field components are 17277.0, -4403.6 and 52474.2 (in nanoteslas).
does anyone know how i can do this? is there a certain equation? i have an idea how to and it involves finding the geographic coordinates of the magnetic north pole, but i don't know how to do this either. anyone know how?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
This sounds like a homework question. If it is, then try it in the Homework Help Forum, where it will get better results.

Yes, if you knew the co-ordinates of the geomagnetic north pole you would know if it your location was closer to that or closer to the geographic north pole - provided you had a globe handy or could "do the math". I don't think you even need to use the magnetic field components. I don't know the co-ordinates of the magnetic north pole, but if you're resourceful enough to post this question on this forum I'm sure you can make use of a search engine, like AskJeeves or altavista or that other one that people sometimes use but I can't remember what it's called.

The Geomagnetic North Pole is measured by the Geological Survey of Canada, approximately every decade, and then estimated from that. It was last measured in 2001 and its cordinates are found here:
http://gsc.nrcan.gc.ca/geomag/nmp/northpole_e.php
Just for your info the pole moves!
The geographic north is at 90 degrees north. Using a great circle route the mag pole is 2681 statue miles or 4318Km and true north is 3060 statue miles and 4927Km from the location given (near Ottawa).
http://www.gb3pi.org.uk/great.html
I can’t help you with the rest of the question.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is magnetic data and how is it relevant to problem-solving?

Magnetic data refers to information gathered about the Earth's magnetic field, which is created by its molten iron core. This data can help scientists understand the Earth's structure, as well as track changes in the magnetic field over time. In problem-solving, magnetic data can be used to analyze the movement of the Earth's poles and how it may affect various systems on Earth.

2. How do the Earth's poles affect magnetic data and problem-solving?

The Earth's poles play a crucial role in magnetic data and problem-solving. The poles are where the magnetic field is the strongest, and any changes in their position or strength can impact the Earth's magnetic field. This, in turn, can affect various systems on Earth, such as navigation and communication systems. Therefore, understanding the movement of the poles is essential in problem-solving related to magnetic data.

3. What techniques are used to gather and analyze magnetic data?

Scientists use a variety of techniques to gather and analyze magnetic data. This includes satellites equipped with magnetometers that can map the Earth's magnetic field, ground-based surveys using specialized instruments, and computer simulations. Once the data is gathered, scientists use mathematical and statistical methods to analyze and interpret it, providing insights into the Earth's magnetic field and its changes.

4. How does understanding the Earth's magnetic field help solve real-world problems?

Understanding the Earth's magnetic field can help solve numerous real-world problems. For example, it can aid in predicting and mitigating the effects of solar storms on power grids and communication systems. It can also assist in tracking changes in the Earth's climate and understanding the movement of tectonic plates. Additionally, magnetic data can be used in archaeological and geological studies to date artifacts and map underground structures.

5. What are some current challenges in using magnetic data for problem-solving?

While magnetic data has proven to be a valuable tool in problem-solving, there are still some challenges in its use. One major challenge is the constantly changing nature of the Earth's magnetic field, which requires frequent data collection and analysis to stay updated. Additionally, interpreting the data accurately can be challenging due to various factors such as noise and data gaps. However, advancements in technology and techniques continue to improve the accuracy and usefulness of magnetic data for problem-solving.