How do I Study and Learn Best in Engineering?

In summary, the speaker has just started an engineering undergrad program at a Canadian university and is struggling with the pace of the courses. They are interested in various subjects, but feel overwhelmed by the constant barrage of technical courses. They have spoken to their professor and upperclassmen for advice on managing their time and focusing on problem solving and deductive reasoning.
John McMaster
Hey everyone, I just started an engineering undergrad at a good Canadian University (not McMaster) . I have about 30 course hours per week and spend much time working on interview skills for my coop.

I am having trouble with the pace of things, and would like your advice. My problem is that I love the beauty of mathematics and physics, philosophy, and most subjects to be honest. In engineering, it seems to be a constant barrage only of (interesting) technical courses.

This is a problem because I feel like things go too fast and when I learn or read something I want to further study, I can't think deeply about it because I have to worry about other subjects. There are so many things I want to ponder or research more, but they are introduced and gone within the week. I am still learning this stuff so it is challenging, but I feel like I'm not truly getting a full grasp on things. I asked my professor about this and he said that it is just a juggling game and I have to neglect some things to pick up the courses that are falling down -- this really disheartens me.

Anyways, on quizzes so far I am not doing the best, as I struggle to join the concepts and practice. I have spoken to some Dean's list upper years who advocated studying less and thinking and relaxing more, and finding what works for me. I believe I have adequate intelligence to learn this material, I just need to enhance my problem solving abilities and my approach to the topics I am learning.

Can any graduates or upper years offer advice to me on how to manage my time, and what to focus on? Eg. Mathematically intuition, problem solving, or deductive reasoning. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
John McMaster said:
I have about 30 course hours per week

Like...30 credit hours? Am I missing something here?

Related to How do I Study and Learn Best in Engineering?

1. What study techniques should I use for engineering courses?

There are many effective study techniques for engineering courses. Some popular ones include creating study guides, practicing problems and equations, making flashcards, and collaborating with classmates. It's important to find what works best for you and stick with it consistently.

2. How can I manage my time effectively while studying for engineering courses?

Time management is crucial for success in engineering courses. Some tips for effective time management include creating a study schedule, breaking down large tasks into smaller ones, prioritizing tasks based on deadlines and importance, and avoiding distractions while studying.

3. What resources are available for studying engineering?

There are many resources available for studying engineering, such as textbooks, online lectures and tutorials, practice problems and quizzes, study groups, and tutoring services. It's important to take advantage of these resources and use them to supplement your learning.

4. How can I stay motivated while studying for engineering courses?

Staying motivated can be challenging, especially for difficult engineering courses. One way to stay motivated is to set specific and achievable goals for yourself. It's also helpful to take breaks and reward yourself after completing tasks. Additionally, reminding yourself of why you started studying engineering and the long-term benefits can also help keep you motivated.

5. What study habits should I avoid for engineering courses?

There are a few study habits that can be counterproductive for engineering courses. These include cramming, relying too heavily on memorization instead of understanding concepts, and procrastinating. It's important to start studying early and consistently, and to focus on understanding the material rather than just memorizing it.