How do I synthesize Cedryl Acetate for perfumery?

• Thread starter krasss
  • Start date
krasss
I wanna synthesize 10 ml of Cedryl Acetate for my perfume. How can i do it?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Why? Isn't that like $1 worth?

Vanadium 50 said:
Why? Isn't that like $1 worth?
Not in here...

This is simple ester so synthesis is probably rather trivial if you have access to lab glass, but you will still need to buy cedrol - so why not save yourself unnecessary work and buy cedryl acetate instead?

Likes berkeman
Do you have access to pure cedrol? If not, you will need to obtain cedar oil and perform a fractional vacuum distillation.
There are multiple ways to make acetate esters but since those methods are used to make heroin as well…. you could be scrutinized by who knows? Most of the reagents that are easily obtained are on “diversion” lists and purchases are watched.

Best to just buy some?

• Wow
Likes pinball1970
chemisttree said:
since those methods are used to make heroin as wel
Oh my.

:eek:... Entertaining the gentlemen wearing sport jackets and shoulder holsters is NOT conducive to 'Live Long and Prosper'; regardless of which side they are on!

Vanadium 50 said:
Oh my.

While it is definitely true that acylation is used in some drug synthesis procedures, it is a bit like claiming screwdrivers are for repairing guns.

Esterification with acetic acid (and the reverse process, hydrolysis of esters) are between those basic things commonly used in ChemOrg101 labs. Trivial to understand, in many basic cases simple to set up.

Likes TeethWhitener, Vanadium 50, Bystander and 1 other person
Whew!

Still, it seems very odd to want to synthesize something that costs a few dollars at most. Heck, the glassware is more expensive!

Likes Bystander
Glassware is on watchlists as well. After leaving my research job at SwRI, I set up a lab from scratch. I was required to label and inventory almost all of my glassware and report it to the Texas Department of Public Safety. A Trooper came out to inspect my lab and paperwork!

Don’t Mess With Texas!

• Skeptical
  • Wow
Likes BillTre, Vanadium 50 and Bystander
chemisttree said:
Don’t Mess With Texas!
Or they may Tread On YOU! :wink:

Likes BillTre
Tom.G said:
Or they may Tread On YOU
I think that's South Carolina.
Or Soviet Russia. :smile:

You are certainly a lot closer than I was!

I remembered it as a Texas flag with a Rattlesnack and saying "Dont Tread On Me".

However Google/Wikipedia state, among other things, that:
In the United States military, the phrase is the motto of the US Army's oldest infantry regiment, the 3rd U.S. Infantry Regiment (The Old Guard), located at Fort Myer, Virginia. "Don't tread on me" is also used in the First Navy Jack of United States Navy.

(from:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&biw=&bih=&q=don't+tread+on+me+political+meaning)

What is Cedryl Acetate and why is it used in perfumery?

Cedryl Acetate is a synthetic aroma chemical, known for its warm, woody, and slightly balsamic fragrance. It is widely used in perfumery to impart a cedarwood-like aroma to various fragrances. This compound helps in adding depth and longevity to perfume compositions, making it a popular choice among perfumers for creating sophisticated and layered scents.

What are the basic steps involved in synthesizing Cedryl Acetate?

The synthesis of Cedryl Acetate generally involves the esterification of cedryl alcohol with acetic acid. This reaction typically uses an acid catalyst such as sulfuric acid or an acid chloride method. The process involves heating the reactants under reflux conditions followed by purification steps like distillation or recrystallization to isolate the Cedryl Acetate.

What materials are required to synthesize Cedryl Acetate?

To synthesize Cedryl Acetate, you need cedryl alcohol, acetic acid, and an acid catalyst such as sulfuric acid or acetyl chloride. Additionally, equipment like a reflux setup, a heating source, and purification apparatus are necessary. Safety equipment like gloves, goggles, and a fume hood are also essential to ensure safe handling of materials and reaction processes.

What are the safety precautions to consider during the synthesis of Cedryl Acetate?

When synthesizing Cedryl Acetate, it's crucial to work in a well-ventilated area or under a fume hood to avoid inhalation of fumes. Protective clothing, including gloves, goggles, and lab coats, should be worn to prevent skin and eye contact with corrosive chemicals. It is also important to be cautious with the handling and disposal of acid catalysts and other reactive materials to prevent accidents and environmental harm.

Can Cedryl Acetate be synthesized in a home or small-scale lab setting?

While it is technically possible to synthesize Cedryl Acetate in a small-scale lab or even at home, it requires chemical expertise and access to specific chemicals and equipment. Due to the potential hazards and the need for precise conditions and handling, it is generally recommended to be synthesized by professionals in a controlled laboratory environment. For hobbyists or small-scale perfumers, purchasing Cedryl Acetate from reputable suppliers might be a safer and more practical option.