How to make 0.2 M Tris-Acetate Buffer pH 6

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of finding a protocol for making a 0.2 M Tris-Acetate Buffer pH 6. The suggested method involves making a Tris solution and adjusting the pH to 8, but it is uncertain if the same method can be used for pH 6. A cited paper suggests using a combination of acetate and TRIS to achieve a pH of 6, but it is noted that this may not be an effective buffer. The use of a pH meter is recommended for adjusting the final pH. It is also suggested to try omitting the Tris and relying on the buffering capacity of hydroxylamine.
asy
Hello,

I need to make a 0.2 M Tris-Acetate Buffer pH 6 and I can't find a protocol for this specific buffer.

I know that I can make a Tris solution (i.e. 12.11 g of tris(hydroxymethyl)aminomethane in water), adjust the pH to 8 and dilute to 1000 mL with water.

Is the same true for pH 6?

Thanks for the help
Regards

Chemistry news on Phys.org
TRIS acetate at pH 6 doesn't make sense, you are outside of the buffering range of both acetate buffer and TRIS based buffer. Quite likely that's why you can't find the recipe. Technically it is possible to prepare a solution containing both acetate and TRIS and having pH of 6, it just won't be a buffer.

Thanks for the feedback.
I'm trying to use a method that I found in the literature, which was cited in several papers.

Folk JE and Cole PW (1966) The Journal of Biological Chemistry 241(23): 5518–5525

"Each test was made in a final volume of 0.5 ml of 0.2 M Tris-acetate buffer, pH 6.0, containing 0.1 M hydroxylamine, 5 mM CaCl2, 10 mM GSH, and 30 mM CBZ-n-glutaminylglycine. After a 5 or 10 min incubation with the enzyme at 37 ºC, 0.5 ml of ferric chloride-trichloracetic acid reagent was added, and the resulting red color was measured at 525 nm."

Any suggestion how to proceed?
Thanks

You can't go wrong with adjusting the final pH with the pH meter.

Thank you for the help!

Yes the tris would be a poor buffer more than 2 units below its pKa.

But oh dear, the hydroxylamine has a pKa close to 6, and that is what must be doing most of the buffering during whatever reaction you are following. Just try doing whatever you are doing making your solution pH 6 without any tris! And tell us.

1. How do I calculate the amount of Tris and Acetic Acid needed to make a 0.2 M Tris-Acetate Buffer pH 6?

To make 0.2 M Tris-Acetate Buffer pH 6, you will need to use the formula C1V1 = C2V2, where C1 is the initial concentration of the stock solution (in this case, 1 M Tris and 1 M Acetic Acid), V1 is the initial volume of the stock solution, C2 is the final concentration of the desired buffer (0.2 M), and V2 is the final volume of the desired buffer. Simply plug in the values and you will get the amount of Tris and Acetic Acid needed to make the buffer.

2. What is the process for adjusting the pH of the buffer to 6?

To adjust the pH of the buffer to 6, you will need to use a pH meter or indicator paper to measure the current pH of the buffer. If the pH is higher than 6, you can add a small amount of hydrochloric acid to lower the pH. If the pH is lower than 6, you can add a small amount of sodium hydroxide to raise the pH. It is important to add these in small increments and check the pH after each addition until the desired pH of 6 is reached.

3. Can I use a different pH indicator for this buffer?

Yes, you can use a different pH indicator for this buffer as long as it has a range suitable for pH 6. Some common indicators that can be used for pH 6 include bromothymol blue, methyl red, and phenol red. It is important to calibrate the indicator with the buffer before use to ensure accurate results.

4. How should I store the prepared buffer?

The prepared buffer should be stored in a clean, airtight container at room temperature. It is important to label the container with the name of the buffer, concentration, and pH. The buffer can be stored for several weeks, but it is recommended to make a fresh batch if needed for longer-term experiments.

5. What are some potential errors that can occur when making this buffer?

Some potential errors that can occur when making this buffer include using incorrect volumes or concentrations of Tris and Acetic Acid, not properly calibrating the pH meter or indicator, not properly mixing the solutions, and contamination from improper storage or handling. It is important to double-check calculations and use proper lab techniques to minimize these errors.