How do I undo a Fourier cosine transform to solve a heat equation problem?

In summary, the solution to the semi-infinite interval problem, with the given conditions, involves taking the Fourier cosine series of the governing PDE and then using the inverse Fourier cosine transform to find the final solution.
member 428835

Homework Statement

Find the solution ##u(x, t)## to the semi-infinite interval problem

$$ u_t = u_{xx} - 4u, \hspace{2 mm} 0 < x < \infty, \hspace{2 mm} t>0\\
u_x(0,t) = -1, \hspace{2 mm} t>0\\
\lim_{x \to \infty}u(x,t) = 0, \hspace{2 mm} t>0\\
u(x,0) = e^{-x}, \hspace{2 mm} 0 \leq x < \infty.$$

Homework Equations

fourier cosine series, which I shall denote ##C(u)## when in variable ##x## operating over some function ##u##.

The Attempt at a Solution

after taking Fourier cosine series of the governing PDE i arrive at $$
\frac{\partial}{\partial t}C(u) = \frac{2}{\pi} - \omega^2 C(u) -4C(u) \implies\\
C(u) = \frac{2}{\pi(\omega^2 + 4)} + C_1e^{-(\omega^2 +4)t}$$
Notice ##C(u(x,0)) = C(e^{-x}) = \frac{2}{\pi(1+\omega^2)}##. This implies ##C_1 = \frac{2}{\pi(1+\omega^2)} - \frac{2}{\pi(\omega^2 + 4)} ##. Thus we arrive at $$
C(u) = \frac{2}{\pi(\omega^2 + 4)} + \frac{2}{\pi}\left[ \frac{1}{(1+\omega^2)} - \frac{1}{(\omega^2 + 4)} \right] e^{-(\omega^2 +4)t}$$
I have skipped some in-between steps, but I think the idea is here. My question is, how do I undo this Fourier cosine transform, if I have arrived to a correct solution?

Thanks so much!

Josh

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the inverse Fourier cosine transform

Cool, that's what I did! Just wanted to make sure my work was correct. Thanks!

Related to How do I undo a Fourier cosine transform to solve a heat equation problem?

What is the heat equation problem?

The heat equation problem is a mathematical model used to describe the distribution of heat over time in a given space. It takes into account factors such as temperature, heat flux, and thermal conductivity to determine how heat will move and change within a system.

How is the heat equation problem solved?

The heat equation problem is typically solved using numerical methods, such as finite difference or finite element methods. These methods break down the problem into smaller, discrete elements and use iterative calculations to approximate the solution.

What are the applications of the heat equation problem?

The heat equation problem has a wide range of applications, including heat transfer in materials, fluid mechanics, and thermodynamics. It is also used in fields such as engineering, physics, and meteorology to model heat flow and temperature changes in various systems.

What are the limitations of the heat equation problem?

The heat equation problem assumes certain simplifications, such as a constant thermal conductivity and no internal heat sources. These assumptions may not hold true in all real-world scenarios and can limit the accuracy of the model. Additionally, the heat equation cannot account for phase changes or chemical reactions that may occur during heating or cooling processes.

How does the heat equation problem relate to other mathematical models?

The heat equation problem is closely related to other mathematical models, such as the diffusion equation and the wave equation. These equations all involve the concept of "propagation" or movement of a quantity (heat, concentration, or energy) through a medium. They can also be solved using similar numerical methods.