How do I write a report about my 4th year physics research?

In summary: You will need to tailor them to the specific project, the journal in which the project will be published, the audience for the project, and the conventions of the journal.In summary, a fourth year physics student is trying to write a report on the subject of nonlinear optics but is struggling to write in a useful and readable way. He has found that he is just paraphrasing what is written in a textbook and is not writing anything of his own. He is looking for advice on how to write a good report. He is advised to take notes as he reads the book, make a list of key concepts and words, imagine himself talking about the concepts to someone, start writing a paragraph or two about each concept
betelgeuse91
Hi, I am a fourth year physics student currently enrolled in a research project course with a supervisor. It's a research in optics and I need to learn about some nonlinear optics.

For the report, I want to write about what I have learned during the term, for instance, Rayleigh and Raman scattering, but I just don't know how to write a report. I bought a nonlinear optics textbook to study those and started writing the report. But I noticed that I was just paraphrasing what was written in the textbook and not writing something useful. I tried to explain with more details for better readability but I could not get far from just copying the section in the book.

How can I write a good report? Any advise will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
P.S. By the way, the report is expected to be about 20 pages long.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you ask previous students to see their reports, or find similar reports elsewhere?

I suggest
1. You take notes as you read the book. More like headlines of the most important points, not long sentences
2. Make a list of the key words and concepts.
3. Think about each keyword and/or concept in your head, using your own words...imagine yourself telling someone about it verbally
4. Start writing a paragraph or two about each keyword or concept, using your own words not the texbook words (it's ok if it does not sound perfect initially)
5. Add diagrams, illustrations, figures, graphs as needed.
6. Then start by introducing the subject: What it is you are reporting on, why, the significance, the applications, etc.
7. Then complete all other sections.
8. End with a summary and/or conclusion.
9. Leave it for a day or two and then review it and edit it and finalize

A guiding principle is this: Tell them what you want to tell them, then tell them, then finally tell them what you just told them.

betelgeuse91 said:
Hi, I am a fourth year physics student currently enrolled in a research project course with a supervisor. It's a research in optics and I need to learn about some nonlinear optics.

For the report, I want to write about what I have learned during the term, for instance, Rayleigh and Raman scattering, but I just don't know how to write a report. I bought a nonlinear optics textbook to study those and started writing the report. But I noticed that I was just paraphrasing what was written in the textbook and not writing something useful. I tried to explain with more details for better readability but I could not get far from just copying the section in the book.

How can I write a good report? Any advise will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
P.S. By the way, the report is expected to be about 20 pages long.

I just thought of another point. Why are you relying on just one textbook? I think you can have a richer and more complete report if you dig into a few references and gain more insight from different angles. Not a good idea to rely on only one single reference.

Also, you need to list all of your references at the end of your report to support your facts and figures.

Writing report as in "formal report"? Your advisor or course instructor should tell you the format. Just use the given, described, and expected format. This stuff is not like humanities, artistic & language literature, so you do not need any clever literary composition skills.

Research reports depend heavily on the requirements of the course and the preferences of the instructor.

My approach as the prof or mentor in these deals is nearly always to have students conduct an original research project (usually an experiment, sometimes testing a new hypothesis by analyzing an available data set from an available source.) The format of the paper usually breaks down fairly close to the outline
I. Introduction and Background - why this project is important and interesting with citations and discussion placing the planned project in the context of prior work
II. Method (or procedure) - a description of the experimental method
III. Results - Data, tables, figures presented in a way that helps the reader see the outcome of the experimental method as it applies to the goals, purpose or hypothesis stated in the Intro. There needs to be enough text to narrate through the data, tables, and figures for the reader.
IV. Discussion (or Conclusion) - A discussion of the meaning and interpretation of the results, primarily as related to the purpose as stated in the Intro. Limitations and ambiguities should also be discussed. Results should also be placed in context of prior work (with appropriate citations) that may further inform their interpretation.

These four sections make up the main outline, but there are almost always acknowledgment and references sections always, and occasionally an appendix or two.

This formula has worked well for my students, yielding lots of quality research papers and also a number of publications.

A few examples:
https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1506/1506.02986.pdf
https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1501/1501.07813.pdf
https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1305/1305.0966.pdf
http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a568594.pdf
http://www.dtic.mil/docs/citations/ADA562223

1. How do I structure my report for my 4th year physics research?

To write a report for your 4th year physics research, it is important to follow a specific structure. Start with an introduction that provides background information on your research topic and the purpose of your study. Then, include a literature review to discuss previous studies related to your topic. Next, describe your methodology and procedures in detail. Follow this with a results section where you present your findings, and end with a conclusion that summarizes your research and its significance.

2. What should I include in the methodology section of my report?

The methodology section of your report should include a detailed description of the methods and techniques you used to conduct your research. This should include information on the equipment, materials, and procedures used. Be sure to explain your reasoning for choosing these methods and how they were applied in your study.

3. How do I analyze and present my results in my report?

To analyze and present your results in your report, you can use graphs, tables, and figures to visually represent your data. Make sure to label and title all your visual aids and provide a clear explanation of what they represent. Additionally, you should discuss your findings in the text and explain the significance of your results in relation to your research question.

4. Do I need to include citations in my report?

Yes, it is important to include citations in your report to acknowledge the sources of information and ideas used in your research. This can also help support your arguments and show the credibility of your study. Make sure to use a consistent citation style, such as APA or MLA, and properly format your references page.

5. How do I ensure my report is well-written and free of errors?

To ensure your report is well-written and free of errors, it is important to proofread and edit your work. This includes checking for spelling and grammar mistakes, as well as ensuring your writing is clear and concise. It can also be helpful to have someone else read your report for a fresh perspective and to catch any mistakes you may have missed.