How Do Sound Waves Affect Emergency Responses and Wave Motion Calculations?

In summary: So, the formula should look likey=(15 cm) cos(.157x-50.3t- 60 degrees) = 0 To find the coordinate of point B, we have to find the value of x that makes the right-hand side of the equation equal to 0. This can be done by solving the equation(15 cm) cos(.157x-50.3t- 60 degrees) = 0for x. I hope this helps.
Shay10825
Hi everyone! I need help on these two problems:

1.) A flower pot is knocked off a balcony 20m above the sidewalk and falls toward an unsuspecting 1.75-m-tall man who is standing below. How close to the sidewalk can the flower pot fall before it is too late for a shouted warning from the balcony to reach the man in time? Assume that the man below requires .3 s to respond to the warning.

Would I use the formula:
v=(d)/(delta t)? If so how?
The answer is 7.82m

2. Consider the sinusoidal wave, with the wave function:
y=(15 cm) cos(.157x-50.3t)

At a certain instant, let point A be at the origin and point B be the first point along the x-axis where the wave is 60 degrees out of phase with point A. What is the coordinate of point B?

I did:
y=(15 cm) cos(.157x-50.3t)=60
15cos(.157x)=60
cos(.157x)=4 and this is impossible
I have no clue what to do.

~Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The point of the problem is for the sound to arrive at least .3 s before the pot!

No, you would not use v= d/(delta t). You know the speed of sound, I presume so you can calculate the time required for the sound to travel 20 m. I'm going to call that T. You should replace T by the actual number.
The flower pot starts 20-1.75= 18.25 m above the man's head and has acceleration -9.8 m/s2. The height of the flower pot, above the man's head, at time t is 18.25- 4.9t2.
If t is the time a which you shout, your shout will arrive at the person's ear in time
t+ T and the person will have moved by time t+ T+ .2. In order that the flower pot have not yet hit the person, we must have
18.25- 4.9(t+ T+ .3)2> 0. The "critical time" will be when that is equal to 0.

The point of the problem is for the sound to arrive at least .3 s before the pot!

No, you would not use v= d/(delta t). You know the speed of sound, I presume so you can calculate the time required for the sound to travel 20 m. I'm going to call that T. You should replace T by the actual number.
The flower pot starts 20-1.75= 18.25 m above the man's head and has acceleration -9.8 m/s2. The height of the flower pot, above the man's head, at time t is 18.25- 4.9t2.
If t is the time a which you shout, your shout will arrive at the person's ear in time
t+ T and the person will have moved by time t+ T+ .2. In order that the flower pot have not yet hit the person, we must have
18.25- 4.9(t+ T+ .3)2> 0. The "critical time" will be when that is equal to 0.

As far as 2 is concerned, it makes no sense to set y= 60. y is a height of the wave in cm. "60" is in degrees. Do you understand what "60 degrees out of phase" means? What is it in y= (15 cm)cos(.157x- 50.3t) that IS measured in degrees?

Shay10825 said:
Hi everyone! I need help on these two problems:

1.) A flower pot is knocked off a balcony 20m above the sidewalk and falls toward an unsuspecting 1.75-m-tall man who is standing below. How close to the sidewalk can the flower pot fall before it is too late for a shouted warning from the balcony to reach the man in time? Assume that the man below requires .3 s to respond to the warning.

Would I use the formula:
v=(d)/(delta t)? If so how?
The answer is 7.82m

if the man needs 0.3 seconds to respond, then the time it takes for the man to react from the moment you warned him is:
Time it takes for the sound to get to him + 0.3 s.
You can calculate the time the sound takes him if you know the speed of sound (something like 330 m/s) and the distance it has to travel (about 20-1.75 m to his ears).
Now calculate how high the flower pot has to be above the man so that it lands on his head presicely when he is about to react. That is the treshold height.

y=(15 cm) cos(.157x-50.3t)=60
This is not correct. A phase difference means the argument of the sine in point B difference from the argument in point A by 60 degrees.

Related to How Do Sound Waves Affect Emergency Responses and Wave Motion Calculations?

1. What are sound waves?

Sound waves are longitudinal waves that are created when objects vibrate and cause disturbances in the surrounding air molecules. These disturbances are then transmitted as sound energy, which can be heard by our ears.

2. How do sound waves travel?

Sound waves travel through a medium, such as air, by causing the molecules in the medium to vibrate. As the molecules vibrate, they collide with each other, transferring the energy of the sound wave. This process continues until the sound wave reaches our ears.

3. What is the speed of sound?

The speed of sound depends on the medium through which it is traveling. In dry air at room temperature, sound travels at approximately 343 meters per second, or 767 miles per hour.

4. How do sound waves differ from light waves?

Sound waves are mechanical waves that require a medium to travel through, while light waves are electromagnetic waves that can travel through a vacuum. Sound waves also have a much lower frequency and longer wavelength compared to light waves.

5. How does the frequency of a sound wave affect its pitch?

The frequency of a sound wave is directly related to its pitch. Higher frequency sound waves have a higher pitch, while lower frequency sound waves have a lower pitch. This is because the frequency determines how many waves pass by a point in a given amount of time, which our ears interpret as pitch.