How do vibrations in a solution affect other particles?

However, this transfer of energy is usually not enough to cause significant vibration in those molecules.
Mendelevskij
Hi, I was wondering if someone can explain to me the following. If I have a vibrating molecule in a solution, what effect would this vibration have on other particles in my solution which are different. Can the vibration be the same for them if they are not excited (do not vibrate due to excitation) can they duplicate the vibration of the excited molecule with lower intensity?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mendelevskij said:
Can the vibration be the same for them if they are not excited (do not vibrate due to excitation)
You cannot classify vibrations as "this is due to excitation / this is not". Every vibration is an excitation relative to the ground state.

In general, excited molecules can transfer some energy to molecules nearby.

Related to How do vibrations in a solution affect other particles?

What are vibrations in a solution?

Vibrations in a solution refer to the movement or oscillation of molecules or particles within a liquid. These vibrations can be caused by external forces such as sound waves or internal forces such as thermal energy.

How do vibrations affect a solution?

Vibrations can affect a solution in various ways. They can help mix or disperse particles within the liquid, aid in chemical reactions, or even cause changes in the physical properties of the solution such as its viscosity.

What factors can affect the frequency of vibrations in a solution?

The frequency of vibrations in a solution can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the concentration of particles in the solution. Additionally, different types of molecules or particles can have different natural frequencies of vibration.

What is the significance of studying vibrations in a solution?

Studying vibrations in a solution can provide insights into the behavior and properties of liquids at the molecular level. This knowledge can be applied in various fields such as chemistry, engineering, and medicine.

How are vibrations in a solution measured?

Vibrations in a solution can be measured using techniques such as spectroscopy, which analyzes the absorption or emission of light by the solution, or rheology, which measures the stress and strain of the solution under vibration.