How do we know the size of the universe?

• B
  • Thread starter Lunct
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, the Planck length would be equivalent to the size of around two hundred pinheads if you enlarged an atom to the size of the observable universe.
Lunct
I constantly hear facts like, if an atom was enlarged to the size of the solar system, a string would be the size of a tree. But how are we able to calculate the size of the universe if it may be infinite? Is it just the observable universe?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Lunct said:
Is it just the observable universe?
Yes. This will typically be what someone referring to "the size of the Universe" means.

Likes Lunct
Orodruin said:
Yes. This will typically be what someone referring to "the size of the Universe" means.
Thanks

Lunct said:
I constantly hear facts like, if an atom was enlarged to the size of the solar system, a string would be the size of a tree. But how are we able to calculate the size of the universe if it may be infinite? Is it just the observable universe?

Plank length 1.6 * 10-35, hydrogen atom 2.5 * 10-11 difference is around 1024
Hydrogen atom 2.5 * 10-11, solar system 1013 difference is around 1024

if an atom was enlarged to the size of the solar system, a string would be around the size of a atom

Last edited:
stefan r said:
I watched a documentary and it said tree, I admit I was a bit surprised - I thought they would be much smaller. An atom makes so much more sense.
Thanks for the clarification.

stefan r said:
That would mean if you would enlarge an atom to the size of the observable universe, the Planck length would be equivalent to the size of around two hundred pinheads.
May be wrong

Lunct said:
That would mean if you would enlarge an atom to the size of the observable universe, the Planck length would be equivalent to the size of around two hundred pinheads.
May be wrong
better to find a mid point IMO.
8.7×1026 m
1.62×10−35 m
Maybe a fog particle or width of human hair.
You could also break it up into 3 units of 1020. plank length:diameter of nucleus, nucleus:width of New Jersey, New Jersey: diameter observable universe.
Orders_of_magnitude_(length)

"200 pin heads" could be a 10X20 pile or 200 in a row.

1. How do we measure the size of the universe?

The size of the universe is measured using a variety of methods, including triangulation, redshift, and the cosmic microwave background radiation. These methods involve measuring the distance to objects in the universe and using mathematical equations to estimate the overall size.

2. Is the universe infinite or finite?

The current scientific consensus is that the universe is likely infinite in size. However, this is still a topic of debate and research in the scientific community.

3. How do we know the distance to objects in the universe?

Scientists use a variety of techniques to measure the distance to objects in the universe, such as parallax, standard candles, and redshift. These methods involve using known mathematical relationships between distance, speed, and light to estimate the distance to objects.

4. How has our understanding of the size of the universe changed over time?

Our understanding of the size of the universe has evolved over time as our technology and scientific knowledge has advanced. For example, the discovery of the expansion of the universe and the cosmic microwave background radiation have greatly influenced our understanding of the universe's size.

5. Can we ever know the exact size of the universe?

It is currently impossible for us to know the exact size of the universe due to its infinite nature and the limitations of our technology. However, scientists continue to research and develop new methods to better estimate the size of the universe.