How do we prove the rule for differentiable curves in 3D?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove a rule for differentiable curves in $\mathbb{R}^3$ involving cross products. Two different proofs are given and it is determined that to use the product rule, the cross product must be written as a determinant. The correctness of one of the proofs is confirmed and no improvements or further explanations are needed.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

How could we prove the following rule for differentiable curves in $\mathbb{R}^3$ ?? (Wondering)

$$\frac{d}{dt}[\overrightarrow{\sigma}(t)\times \overrightarrow{\rho}(t)]=\frac{d\overrightarrow{\sigma}}{dt}\times \overrightarrow{\rho}(t)+\overrightarrow{\sigma}(t)\times \frac{d\overrightarrow{\rho}}{dt}$$

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:

How could we prove the following rule for differentiable curves in $\mathbb{R}^3$ ?? (Wondering)

$$\frac{d}{dt}[\overrightarrow{\sigma}(t)\times \overrightarrow{\rho}(t)]=\frac{d\overrightarrow{\sigma}}{dt}\times \overrightarrow{\rho}(t)+\overrightarrow{\sigma}(t)\times \frac{d\overrightarrow{\rho}}{dt}$$

Is...

$\displaystyle \overrightarrow{\sigma}(t)\times \overrightarrow{\rho}(t) = \sum_{i=1}^{3} \sigma_{i} (t)\ \rho_{i} (t)$

... and applying the product rule You esasily arrive to the result...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
$\displaystyle \overrightarrow{\sigma}(t)\times \overrightarrow{\rho}(t) = \sum_{i=1}^{3} \sigma_{i} (t)\ \rho_{i} (t)$

Why does this formula stand?? (Wondering)

mathmari said:

Two different proofs are given here.

Opalg said:
Two different proofs are given here.

To use the product rule do we have to write the cross product as followed??

$\overrightarrow{\sigma}(t)=(x_1(t), x_2(t), x_3)), \overrightarrow{\rho}(t)=(y_1(t), y_2(t), y_3(t))$

$$\overrightarrow{\sigma}(t) \times \overrightarrow{\rho}(t)=\begin{vmatrix}
\overrightarrow{i} & \overrightarrow{j} & \overrightarrow{k}\\
x_1(t) & x_2(t) & x_3(t)\\
y_1(t) & y_2(t) & y_3(t)
\end{vmatrix} \\ =(x_2(t)y_3(t)-x_3(t)y_2(t))\overrightarrow{i}+(x_3(t)y_1(t)-x_1(t)y_3(t))\overrightarrow{j}+(x_1(t)y_2(t)-x_2(t)y_1(t))\overrightarrow{k}$$

mathmari said:
To use the product rule do we have to write the cross product as followed??

$\overrightarrow{\sigma}(t)=(x_1(t), x_2(t), x_3)), \overrightarrow{\rho}(t)=(y_1(t), y_2(t), y_3(t))$

$$\overrightarrow{\sigma}(t) \times \overrightarrow{\rho}(t)=\begin{vmatrix}
\overrightarrow{i} & \overrightarrow{j} & \overrightarrow{k}\\
x_1(t) & x_2(t) & x_3(t)\\
y_1(t) & y_2(t) & y_3(t)
\end{vmatrix} \\ =(x_2(t)y_3(t)-x_3(t)y_2(t))\overrightarrow{i}+(x_3(t)y_1(t)-x_1(t)y_3(t))\overrightarrow{j}+(x_1(t)y_2(t)-x_2(t)y_1(t))\overrightarrow{k}$$

Yep. (Nod)

I have done the following:

$$\frac{d}{dt}[\overrightarrow{\sigma}(t)\times\overrightarrow{\rho}(t)] \\ =\frac{d}{dt}\left [(x_2(t)y_3(t)-x_3(t)y_2(t))\overrightarrow{i}+(x_3(t)y_1(t)-x_1(t)y_3(t))\overrightarrow{j}+(x_1(t)y_2(t)-x_2(t)y_1(t))\overrightarrow{k}\right ] \\ =(x_2'(t)y_3(t)+x_2(t)y_3'(t)-x_3'(t)y_2(t)-x_3(t)y_2'(t))\overrightarrow{i}+(x_3'(t)y_1(t)+x_3(t)y_1'(t)-x_1'(t)y_3(t)-x_1(t)y_3'(t))\overrightarrow{j}+(x_1'(t)y_2(t)+x_1(t)y_2'(t)-x_2'(t)y_1(t)-x_2(t)y_1'(t))\overrightarrow{k} \\ =\left ( (x_2'(t)y_3(t)-x_3'(t)y_2(t))\overrightarrow{i}+(x_3'(t)y_1(t)-x_1'(t)y_3(t))\overrightarrow{j}+(x_1'(t)y_2(t)-x_2'(t)y_1(t))\overrightarrow{k}\right ) +\\ \left ( (x_2(t)y_3'(t)-x_3(t)y_2'(t))\overrightarrow{i}+(x_3(t)y_1'(t)-x_1(t)y_3'(t))\overrightarrow{j}+(x_1(t)y_2'(t)-x_2(t)y_1'(t))\overrightarrow{k}\right ) \\ =\frac{d\overrightarrow{\sigma}(t)}{dt} \times \overrightarrow{\rho}(t)+\overrightarrow{\sigma}(t)\times \frac{\overrightarrow{\rho}(t)}{dt}$$ Is this correct?? (Wondering)

Could I improve something?? (Wondering)

At the equation of the lines $5-7$

$$\left ( (x_2'(t)y_3(t)-x_3'(t)y_2(t))\overrightarrow{i}+(x_3'(t)y_1(t)-x_1'(t)y_3(t))\overrightarrow{j}+(x_1'(t)y_2(t)-x_2'(t)y_1(t))\overrightarrow{k}\right ) +\\ \left ( (x_2(t)y_3'(t)-x_3(t)y_2'(t))\overrightarrow{i}+(x_3(t)y_1'(t)-x_1(t)y_3'(t))\overrightarrow{j}+(x_1(t)y_2'(t)-x_2(t)y_1'(t))\overrightarrow{k}\right ) \\ =\frac{d\overrightarrow{\sigma}(t)}{dt} \times \overrightarrow{\rho}(t)+\overrightarrow{\sigma}(t)\times \frac{\overrightarrow{\rho}(t)}{dt}$$

do I have to say something/explain it?? (Wondering)

It looks fine to me. (Smile)

No need for improvements or further explanations. (Wasntme)

I like Serena said:
It looks fine to me. (Smile)

No need for improvements or further explanations. (Wasntme)

Nice... Thank you! (Star)

1. What is a differentiable curve?

A differentiable curve is a continuous and smooth curve that can be defined by a differentiable function. This means that at every point on the curve, the slope or gradient can be calculated, allowing for the calculation of derivatives and other important mathematical operations.

2. How is a differentiable curve different from a regular curve?

A differentiable curve is different from a regular curve in that it has a well-defined slope or gradient at each point, while a regular curve may have sharp corners or points where the slope is undefined. This makes differentiable curves more versatile and useful in mathematical and scientific applications.

3. What is the importance of differentiable curves in mathematics?

Differentiable curves are important in mathematics because they allow for the calculation of derivatives, which are crucial in many areas such as calculus, physics, and engineering. They also provide a useful way to represent and analyze complex functions and systems.

4. Can all curves be considered differentiable?

No, not all curves can be considered differentiable. In order for a curve to be differentiable, it must be continuous and have a well-defined slope at each point. Curves with sharp corners or points where the slope is undefined are not considered differentiable.

5. How are differentiable curves used in real-world applications?

Differentiable curves have a wide range of applications in the real world, including in physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. They are used to model and analyze systems, make predictions, and solve problems in a variety of fields. For example, in physics, differentiable curves are used to represent the motion of objects and calculate their acceleration and velocity.