How do we simulate time flow in video games? EE/PHYS

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time flow in video games, simulations, and our imagination in relation to relativistic terms. It also touches on the speed and processing power of modern processors and how they are affected by relativity and quantum mechanics. The summary emphasizes that while these factors are important for chip designers, they do not have a significant impact on the average user's experience with a computer or video game.
Israel Eydelson
Hi Everyone,

I am very ignorant and uneducated but I have a few questions about a difficult thought experiment.

'How does time flow in a video game/simulation or even in our imagination in relativistic terms?'

Let's say a processor operating at 4.2 Ghz, 42 billion instructions per second at 50% - 99% of the speed of light, generating 60 images per second on a 60 Hz monitor.

Do the generated images flow at a speed relative to our time ? is the electricity used to execute code moving slower in time since it is moving much closer to the speed of light through space?

Do we use relativity to bridge the time gap between the computer and us ?

Sorry if this seems like a complete waste of time by my ignorance, I don't really have a good concept of the speed at which electricity moves throughout the system between the time it is compiled, executed and generated which probably explains my misconceptions. Can anyone with a strong understanding answer these questions?

Thank you,

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Well, you seem to have some misconceptions :-)

For one thing, your processor is executing approximately 4.2 billion cycles per second (base rate) - not instructions. Instructions take anywhere from 3 cycles on up. On the other other hand, with pipelining, CPUs can execute quite a few cycles at once - of different types: addition, multiplication, integer, float, etc - if you write the software to take full advantage.

Also important for speed: all modern processors have multiple cores. A machine with the specs you give undoubtedly has at least 4. Mine has 6, with hyper-threading making it 12 ... although, they're not effective for CPU-intensive algorithms such as real-time math routines (very important in video games).

Bottom line, a machine like that is actually capable of quite a bit more than 4.2 billion instructions per second; impossible to nail down just how many. But for video games in particular, it's humongous, because graphics routines lend themselves very well to parallelization, allowing the multiple cores to work very efficiently. (You assign each core to a separate area of the screen). For instance I've gotten somebody else's video-game routines, that execute in 100 ms, down to 5 by appropriate multi-thread and pipelining techniques. (Actually cache handling is even more important, but let's not get into that).

The point is, you get unbelievable speed out of these things but it has nothing to with relativity, only good programming.

Relativity is somewhat relevant for the chip designers, however. Since it's all DC electrons are actually moving at relativistic speeds so you need to take it into account; but the EM signal is what really matters, and it's at light speed. A major goal of chip designers is to make buses as short as possible, because speed-of-light signals are traveling too slow (!) compared to the CPU which is clocking at 4.2 gig. In that one picosecond, light travels only about 7.5 x 10^-5 meters.

Quantum mechanics is much more important for chip designers. At 22nm, Intel's Ivy Bridge (the last one I studied - 2011) is very vulnerable to QM effects such as tunneling. They have to round off the edges of the typical 90 degree turns made by busses, or all the electrons would fly right off! Today, I suppose they're even lower than 22; google tells me IBM has an experimental chip at 7nm scaling.

What I want to get across is that physics - relativity and QM, EM, silicon and metals science, etc - is very important for chip designers, but not for programmers or users. From our perspective: the signals all flow in normal time; screens are updated at 1/60 second (sometimes twice that) according to your normal time; relativity is NOT used to bridge the time gap between the computer and us, except in so far as it must be taken into account designing the chip.

Basically the processor screams because of that 4.2 gig clock, supported by all the systems and techniques I've briefly touched on. It makes programming them an awful lot of fun - really, more fun than playing the video game, if you're into it.

Hope you find this information as fascinating as I do!

Last edited:
Likes QuantumQuest and Israel Eydelson
secur said:
Well, you seem to have some misconceptions :-)

For one thing, your processor is executing approximately 4.2 billion cycles per second (base rate) - not instructions. Instructions take anywhere from 3 cycles on up. On the other other hand, with pipelining, CPUs can execute quite a few cycles at once - of different types: addition, multiplication, integer, float, etc - if you write the software to take full advantage.

Also important for speed: all modern processors have multiple cores. A machine with the specs you give undoubtedly has at least 4. Mine has 6, with hyper-threading making it 12 ... although, they're not effective for CPU-intensive algorithms such as real-time math routines (very important in video games).

Bottom line, a machine like that is actually capable of quite a bit more than 4.2 billion instructions per second; impossible to nail down just how many. But for video games in particular, it's humongous, because graphics routines lend themselves very well to parallelization, allowing the multiple cores to work very efficiently. (You assign each core to a separate area of the screen). For instance I've gotten somebody else's video-game routines, that execute in 100 ms, down to 5 by appropriate multi-thread and pipelining techniques. (Actually cache handling is even more important, but let's not get into that).

The point is, you get unbelievable speed out of these things but it has nothing to with relativity, only good programming.

Relativity is somewhat relevant for the chip designers, however. Since it's all DC electrons are actually moving at relativistic speeds so you need to take it into account; but the EM signal is what really matters, and it's at light speed. A major goal of chip designers is to make buses as short as possible, because speed-of-light signals are traveling too slow (!) compared to the CPU which is clocking at 4.2 gig. In that one picosecond, light travels only about 7.5 x 10^-5 meters.

Quantum mechanics is much more important for chip designers. At 22nm, Intel's Ivy Bridge (the last one I studied - 2011) is very vulnerable to QM effects such as tunneling. They have to round off the edges of the typical 90 degree turns made by busses, or all the electrons would fly right off! Today, I suppose they're even lower than 22; google tells me IBM has an experimental chip at 7nm scaling.

What I want to get across is that physics - relativity and QM, EM, silicon and metals science, etc - is very important for chip designers, but not for programmers or users. From our perspective: the signals all flow in normal time; screens are updated at 1/60 second (sometimes twice that) according to your normal time; relativity is NOT used to bridge the time gap between the computer and us, except in so far as it must be taken into account designing the chip.

Basically the processor screams because of that 4.2 gig clock, supported by all the systems and techniques I've briefly touched on. It makes programming them an awful lot of fun - really, more fun than playing the video game, if you're into it.

Hope you find this information as fascinating as I do!

Thank you so much, that was a brilliant explanation.

1. What is the concept of time flow simulation in video games?

Time flow simulation in video games refers to the process of creating a virtual world with a sense of time passing, similar to the real world. This involves creating and implementing algorithms and systems that control the passage of time within the game environment.

2. How is time flow simulated in video games?

There are various methods used to simulate time flow in video games. Some games use a fixed time system, where time progresses at a constant rate. Others use a variable time system, where the passage of time depends on player actions or events within the game. Additionally, developers can use a combination of these methods to create a more realistic time flow.

3. What factors influence the simulation of time flow in video games?

The simulation of time flow in video games can be influenced by several factors, such as game design, hardware limitations, and programming techniques. The game design and mechanics play a significant role in determining how time will be simulated, while hardware limitations may affect the level of detail and complexity in the time simulation. Programmers also need to consider the performance impact of their time flow simulation algorithms.

4. How do physics principles play a role in simulating time flow in video games?

Physics principles are essential in simulating time flow in video games because they help create a sense of realism. For example, gravity, friction, and other physical forces can affect the passage of time in a game, and incorporating these principles can make the game world feel more believable. Game engines often use physics engines to simulate these physical laws and make the time flow more realistic.

5. What are the challenges of simulating time flow in video games?

One of the main challenges of simulating time flow in video games is balancing realism with gameplay. While a completely realistic simulation may be appealing, it can also slow down the game and make it less enjoyable for players. Developers also need to consider the hardware limitations and performance impact of their time flow simulation algorithms. Additionally, it can be challenging to create a time flow that feels natural and not too jarring for players.