How Do You Calculate Bicep Force in a Torque Problem?

• Thread starter marcia888
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, the diagram shows a baseball/forearm system at rest with four different forces acting on it: the weight of the forearm, the weight of the baseball, the bicep force, and a force from the upper arm bone. The force exerted by the bicep can be calculated by finding the torque of the forearm and the baseball, and then using the equation f=torque/distance. Using the given values, the force exerted by the bicep is 240.1 N.
marcia888
7. Below is a diagram of a baseball/forearm system at rest. It is acted on by four different forces: the weight of the forearm, the weight of the baseball, the bicep force, and a force from the upper arm bone (attached at the elbow).
(Use the following values: L = 14 cm, d = 2 cm, M = 3 kg, and m = 2 kg.)

How large is the force exerted by the bicep?

Diagram:
http://www.webassign.net/userimages/ikoskelo@sfsu/bicep.jpg

I'm thinking that the torque of the forearm + the torque of the baseball combined are going to equal the negative of the torque provided by the bicep. Is this the right way to do this? And if so, I know how to figure out the torque from the baseball because I know it's distance. But how about the torque of the forearm? What is its distance? Can I just use average distance by dividing it by 2? :cry:

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Forget. I got it. 240.1 N

Used 1/2 distance for distance of forarm

mg L/2 + mgL = total torque down

torque up is the same. f=torque / distance , f=240.1

Thanks anyway!

It seems that you are on the right track with your approach to solving this torque problem. To find the force exerted by the bicep, you can use the equation τ = Fd, where τ is the torque, F is the force, and d is the distance from the axis of rotation. In this case, the axis of rotation is at the elbow joint.

To find the torque of the forearm, you can use the equation τ = mgd, where m is the mass of the forearm and g is the gravitational acceleration. The distance d can be calculated by dividing the length of the forearm (L) by 2, as you suggested.

Once you have the torque of the forearm and the torque of the baseball, you can set them equal to the negative of the torque provided by the bicep (since they are in opposite directions). Then, you can solve for the force exerted by the bicep by rearranging the equation to F = -τ/d.

Remember to use consistent units throughout your calculations and to pay attention to the direction of the forces and torques. I hope this helps you solve the problem!

Related to How Do You Calculate Bicep Force in a Torque Problem?

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force applied to an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the point of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

2. How is torque different from force?

While force is a push or pull on an object, torque is a twisting force that causes an object to rotate about an axis. Force is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, while torque is a rotational vector that also has magnitude and direction.

3. What are the units of torque?

The SI unit for torque is Newton-meters (Nm), which is equivalent to the force of one Newton applied at a distance of one meter from the axis of rotation. In the imperial system, torque is commonly measured in foot-pounds (ft-lb).

4. How do I calculate torque?

To calculate torque, you need to know the force applied to an object and the distance from the point of rotation to the point where the force is applied. The equation for torque is T = F x r, where T is torque, F is force, and r is the distance from the point of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

5. What are some real-world applications of torque?

Torque is used in many everyday activities, such as opening a door, tightening a bolt, or using a wrench. It is also important in mechanical systems, such as engines, where torque is used to create rotational motion. In sports, torque is used in activities like swinging a baseball bat or throwing a discus.