How Do You Calculate Short Circuit Current in Thevenin Equivalent Circuits?

In summary, the conversation was about finding the Thevenin equivalent of a circuit shown. The open circuit voltage was found using voltage division, but there was trouble finding the short circuit current. The expert suggested that the equivalent resistance at AB with the voltage source shorted is needed, and suggested a method for finding it. They also explained the difference between finding Thevenin and Norton equivalents and how the Thevenin resistance is the same as the Norton resistance.
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

I need to find the Thevenin equivalent of the circuit shown:

I found the open circuit voltage (VAB) by noting that VAB = V3 and used the voltage division

[tex]V_{AB} = V_s\left ( \frac{R_3}{R_1||R_2 + R_3}\right ) = 12\V[/tex]

I am having a little trouble finding the short circuit current IAB (which comes about by replacing RL with a wire).
thev.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

We can see that the current that comes out of the combined resistance of R1||R2 is what goes into R3 and the length of wire AB. Now it was my reasoning that since the wire AB offers no resistance, then there is no incentive for current to flow through R3 and hence the current through AB would just be:

[tex] I_{AB}=\frac{V_s}{R_1||R_2}[/tex]

but this does not give the correct results.

Any thoughts on this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need the short circuit current -- that would be for the Norton equivalent. What you want is the equivalent resistance at AB with the voltage source shorted. Easy-peasy.

So this is just the equivalent resistance of the circuit, but not including RL right?

I.e.

[tex]R_{TH} = (R_1||R_2) + R_3[/tex]

?

Last edited:
I don't know what R6 is. But assuming you meant R2,... No. If Vs is shorted then R3 ends up in parallel with R1 and R2.

gneill said:
I don't know what R6 is. But assuming you meant R2,... No. If Vs is shorted then R3 ends up in parallel with R1 and R2.

Yes R2 (edited for clarity).

I guess I don't know the method you are using. It never crossed my mind to short Vs. The method I was shown was 1) Find Voc, 2) Find Isc and then obtain RTH = Voc/Isc.

I know that you are probably using a shorter method, but with a test in the morning, I'll keep going the slow and steady way. It turns out my method in post #1 works, I'm just an idiot and can't do basic division :redface: . VAB/IAB =RTH and my result checks out (3 kΩ IIRC).

As a matter of curiosity: If you "short" Vs, where does the current come from? I don't think there is any :confused: and hence i have trouble seeing what is in parallel with what.

Saladsamurai said:
Yes R2 (edited for clarity).
As a matter of curiosity: If you "short" Vs, where does the current come from? I don't think there is any :confused: and hence i have trouble seeing what is in parallel with what.

If you short Vs, there's no current. Just a resistive network. The resitance "seen" at AB is the Thevenin resistance.

In general, you find the Thevenin equivalent by (1) determining the open circuit voltage and (2) determining the equivalent resistance of the network that remains after shorting out all voltage supplies and opening all current supplies.

You find the Norton equivalent in a similar way. (1) determine the short circuit current, and (2) determine the equivalent resistance when all current supplies have been opened and all voltage supplies shorted.

As you can see, the Norton resistance is exactly the same as the Thevenin resistance (which makes interconverting the two quite a simple matter). And it also explains why finding the short circuit current is another path to finding the Thevenin resistance.

Well I'll be dipped! Thanks again gneill :smile: I think I see it now! Though "parallel" is defined to mean a shared voltage ... so it doesn't make 100% sense since there is no voltage ... but I kind of get it.

Related to How Do You Calculate Short Circuit Current in Thevenin Equivalent Circuits?

1. What is a Thevenin equivalent circuit?

A Thevenin equivalent circuit is a simplified representation of a complex circuit that contains a voltage source, a resistance, and an open circuit. It is used to analyze and understand the behavior of a complex circuit without having to consider all of its internal components.

2. How is a Thevenin equivalent circuit calculated?

To calculate the Thevenin equivalent circuit, you need to find the Thevenin voltage and the Thevenin resistance. The Thevenin voltage is equal to the voltage across the open circuit terminals, while the Thevenin resistance is the total resistance between the open circuit terminals when all the voltage sources are removed.

3. Why is the Thevenin equivalent circuit useful?

The Thevenin equivalent circuit is useful because it simplifies complex circuits and makes them easier to analyze. It also allows for easier troubleshooting and can help in designing more efficient circuits.

4. What is the difference between Thevenin and Norton equivalent circuits?

The main difference between Thevenin and Norton equivalent circuits is that the Thevenin equivalent circuit uses a voltage source and a resistance, while the Norton equivalent circuit uses a current source and a resistance. Both are used to simplify complex circuits and have their own advantages in different situations.

5. How can Thevenin equivalent circuits be used in practical applications?

Thevenin equivalent circuits are commonly used in practical applications such as electronic circuit design, power systems analysis, and telecommunications. They are also useful in troubleshooting and testing circuits, as well as in the design of power supplies and amplifiers.