How Do You Calculate Spring Compression and Cart Speed After Collision?

In summary: I'm not sure why you have those symbols in your summary, but in summary, a 1.2 kg dynamics cart at 3.6 m/s collides head on with a spring bumper with a spring constant of 2.00 * 10^2 N/m, compressing the spring by 0.28 m. The speed of the cart at the moment the spring was compressed by 0.10 m is approximately 3.4 m/s, but the book may have a different answer due to a mistake in their calculation.

Homework Statement

A 1.2 kg dynamics cart is rolling to the right along a horizontal lab desk at 3.6 m/s, when it collides head on with a spring bumper that has a spring constant of 2.00 * 10^2 N/m.

a) Determine the maximum compression of the spring
b) Determine the speed of the cart at the moment that the spring was compressed by 0.10 m.

Homework Equations

E mechanical = E potential + E kinetic
E kinetic = 1/2 m v^2
E elastic = 1/2 k x^2
E gravitational = mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I got 0.28 m, and the book agrees.

b) The answer should be 1.3 m/s. Here's what I get:

Eg is constant, because the height doesn't change. Equal is:

Et = Ee + Ek

In the previous solution, i set Ee2 + 0 = Ek1 + 0 since before there is no elastic energy and afterwards there is no kinetic energy

So Et = 1/2 * 2 * 10 ^2 N/m * 0.28 ^ 2 m ^2 = 7.84 joules

Et - Ee = Ek

7.84 J - 1/2 * 2 * 10^2 N/m * 0.10^2 m^2 = Ek = 6.84 J

1/2 * 1.2 kg * v^2 = 6.84 J

sqrt(6.84 / 1.2 kg / 0.5) = v^2 = 11.4 m^2 / s^2

Square rooted I get 3.4 m/s

The book says I'm doing b wrong, but I don't understand what I did wrong, or if the book is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm getting the same answer as you.

x86 said:
Square rooted I get 3.4 m/s

The book says I'm doing b wrong, but I don't understand what I did wrong, or if the book is wrong.

Hello !

Do not worry. You are correct and if book does not concur with you, its wrong.

I get 3.36 m/s which is approximately same as your answer.

Fwiw, you can get the book answer by making the mistake of setting the KE equal to the PE when the spring is compressed .1 m.

Dear student,

Your approach to solving the problem is correct. However, there seems to be a mistake in your calculation for the final speed of the cart. The correct value should be 1.3 m/s, as the book states.

Let's go through your calculation step by step:

1. You correctly determined the maximum compression of the spring to be 0.28 m.

2. You then correctly set up the equation Et = Ee + Ek, where Et represents the total mechanical energy, Ee represents the elastic potential energy, and Ek represents the kinetic energy.

3. You correctly stated that the gravitational potential energy is constant throughout the problem, as the height does not change.

4. You correctly set up the equation Et = 1/2 * k * x^2 to calculate the total mechanical energy, where k is the spring constant and x is the maximum compression of the spring.

5. You correctly calculated the total mechanical energy to be 7.84 J.

6. You then correctly set up the equation Et - Ee = Ek to calculate the final kinetic energy of the cart.

7. However, there seems to be a mistake in your calculation of the final kinetic energy. It should be:

Et - Ee = Ek

7.84 J - 1/2 * 2 * 10^2 N/m * (0.28 m)^2 = Ek

7.84 J - 7.84 J = Ek

Ek = 0 J

This means that all of the initial mechanical energy (7.84 J) is converted into elastic potential energy when the spring is compressed by 0.28 m. Therefore, at this point, the cart has come to a complete stop and has no kinetic energy.

8. To calculate the speed of the cart at the moment when the spring is compressed by 0.10 m, we can use the equation Ek = 1/2 * m * v^2.

Ek = 1/2 * m * v^2

0 J = 1/2 * 1.2 kg * v^2

v^2 = 0 m^2/s^2

v = 0 m/s

Therefore, at this point, the cart has come to a complete stop and has no speed.

9. To calculate the final speed of the cart, we can use the equation v^2 = u^2 + 2as, where u is

Related to How Do You Calculate Spring Compression and Cart Speed After Collision?

1. What is mechanical energy?

Mechanical energy is the energy possessed by an object due to its motion or position. It is the sum of an object's kinetic energy and potential energy.

2. How is mechanical energy measured?

Mechanical energy is typically measured in joules (J), which is a unit of energy. It can also be measured in other units such as foot-pounds (ft-lb) or calories (cal).

3. What is the equation for mechanical energy?

The equation for mechanical energy is E = KE + PE, where E represents mechanical energy, KE represents kinetic energy, and PE represents potential energy. This equation shows that mechanical energy is the sum of an object's kinetic and potential energies.

4. How is mechanical energy conserved?

According to the law of conservation of energy, mechanical energy is conserved in a closed system. This means that the total amount of mechanical energy in a system remains constant, even as it is transferred between different forms of energy.

5. What are some examples of mechanical energy?

Some examples of mechanical energy include a moving car, a swinging pendulum, a boulder at the top of a hill, and a spinning top. These objects all possess both kinetic and potential energy, making up their total mechanical energy.