How do you calculate the cool-down rate of the Universe?

In summary: This is not the same as requiring a Boltzmann distribution, however, because you have a comoving frame and there is no need for the existence of a thermal bath. This means that you have no preferred frame and your fluid will stay homogeneous and isotropic (and therefore follow the FLRW metric).In summary, the rate of cooling of the universe cannot be calculated using the Ideal Gas Law, as none of the three components of the universe (radiation, matter, and dark energy) behave like an ideal gas. However, the temperature of the universe, currently at 2.725K, is proportional to one over the scale factor and can be determined using a derivative. In terms of observations, the rate of change in temperature is
bbbl67
TL;DR Summary
Trying to figure out, on my own, how to calculate the universe's rate of cooling. Used the Ideal Gas Law, but I'm not sure if that's the right way.
Okay, just for kicks, I was wondering how do you calculate the the rate of cooling of the universe? All I could think of is using the Ideal Gas Law from Thermodynamics:

Ideal Gas Law:

P V = n R T |
V | volume
P | pressure
n | amount
T | temperature
R | molar gas constant (≈ 8.314 J/(mol K))

I assumed P & n stay pretty constant, then temperature (T) varies directly with volume (V). So the change in volume is equal to the change in temperature.

ΔV = R ΔT

So assuming that the Hubble Parameter (I know this number is controversial, but I just picked one of them) is:

H_0 ≈ 68 km/s/Mpc (kilometers per second per megaparsec)
≈ 2.2×10^-18 per second

So the volumetric version of the Hubble Parameter would just be the cube of H_0:

H_0^3 ≈ (2.2×10^-18)^3 per second
≈ 1.065×10^-53 per second

So the universe's volume would grow by a factor of 1.065×10^-53 per second.

ΔT = ΔV/R
= 1.065×10^-53 / 8.314
= 1.281x10^-54 K per sec

So is my reasoning okay here?

Space news on Phys.org
bbbl67 said:
I was wondering how do you calculate the the rate of cooling of the universe?

There isn't just one rate. There are (at least) three, one for each of the three distinct kinds of "stuff" that the universe is composed of: radiation, matter, and dark energy. Each of these three kinds of stuff has a different density, temperature, and pressure, and is affected differently by expansion.

bbbl67 said:
All I could think of is using the Ideal Gas Law from Thermodynamics

Unfortunately, this won't work, because none of the three different kinds of stuff behaves like an ideal gas:

Radiation is inherently relativistic and has an equation of state that does not involve temperature at all (and therefore can't be an ideal gas because the ideal gas equation of state does involve temperature).

Matter has zero pressure so the ideal gas equation is useless for describing it.

Dark energy has a constant density and pressure, and to the extent "temperature" even makes sense as a concept for it, its temperature is therefore constant as well.

So how do you calculate any of this?

bbbl67 said:
So how do you calculate any of this?
You have to compute the new distribution function. You can do this for a non-interacting gas by computing the redshift of the momentum. Only for the relativistic gas is the new distribution going to be a Maxwell Boltzmann distribution if you start from one.

bbbl67 said:
Summary:: Trying to figure out, on my own, how to calculate the universe's rate of cooling. Used the Ideal Gas Law, but I'm not sure if that's the right way.

Okay, just for kicks, I was wondering how do you calculate the the rate of cooling of the universe? All I could think of is using the Ideal Gas Law from Thermodynamics:

Ideal Gas Law:

P V = n R T |
V | volume
P | pressure
n | amount
T | temperature
R | molar gas constant (≈ 8.314 J/(mol K))

I assumed P & n stay pretty constant, then temperature (T) varies directly with volume (V). So the change in volume is equal to the change in temperature.

ΔV = R ΔT

So assuming that the Hubble Parameter (I know this number is controversial, but I just picked one of them) is:

H_0 ≈ 68 km/s/Mpc (kilometers per second per megaparsec)
≈ 2.2×10^-18 per second

So the volumetric version of the Hubble Parameter would just be the cube of H_0:

H_0^3 ≈ (2.2×10^-18)^3 per second
≈ 1.065×10^-53 per second

So the universe's volume would grow by a factor of 1.065×10^-53 per second.

ΔT = ΔV/R
= 1.065×10^-53 / 8.314
= 1.281x10^-54 K per sec

So is my reasoning okay here?
This doesn't work because the overall temperature of the universe is a gas of photons, not an ideal gas.

But the good news is it's much simpler. The temperature of the universe, currently 2.725K, is proportional to one over the scale factor. That is:

##T = {T_0 \over a}##

Here ##T_0## is the temperature when ##a=1##. If we define ##a=1## to be now, then ##T_0 = 2.725##K. The rate of change in the temperature can then be determined using a derivative:

$${dT \over dt} = T_0 {d \over dt} {1 \over a} = -{T_0 \over a^2} {da \over dt}$$

Now we can use the definition of the Hubble parameter to put this into terms that relate to observations:

$$H(t) = {1 \over a}{da \over dt}$$

So:

$${dT \over dt} = -{T_0 \over a} H(t)$$

At the current time, ##H(t) = H_0##, and ##a = 1##, so the present rate of change in temperature is ##-T_0 H_0##.

In units of ##1/s##, ##H_0## is approximately equal to ##2 \times 10^{-18}##, so the rate of change in temperature is roughly ##-6 \times 10^{-18}##K/s.

Likes Ibix
kimbyd said:
the overall temperature of the universe is a gas of photons

The temperature of the CMB is that of a gas of photons. But it's not necessarily the case that this is "the overall temperature of the universe". It depends on how you define the latter term.

PeterDonis said:
The temperature of the CMB is that of a gas of photons. But it's not necessarily the case that this is "the overall temperature of the universe". It depends on how you define the latter term.
If you're far away from any local structures, it's the temperature you'd equilibrate to.

I don't think there's another definition that would be reasonably useful.

The Friedmann equations from a matter-point of view are just ideal-hydro equations, which follows already from the symmetry of the FLRW solution alone. From them you can derive explicitly the equation
$$\mathrm{d}_t (\epsilon a^3) + P \mathrm{d}_t a^3,$$
where ##\epsilon## is the internal energy density and ##P## the pressure of the "substrate". To close the equation you need an equation of state. Usually one considers "dust", i.e., ##P=0## or ultrarelativistic matter (and of course electromagnetic radiation) with ##\epsilon=3P##. Leading to ##\epsilon a^3=\text{const}## for dust and ##\epsilon a^4=\text{const}## for ultrarelativistic matter.

1. How do we determine the initial temperature of the Universe?

The initial temperature of the Universe can be determined by studying the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is the leftover heat from the Big Bang. Scientists have measured this radiation to be approximately 2.7 Kelvin, which is considered the initial temperature of the Universe.

2. What factors affect the cool-down rate of the Universe?

The cool-down rate of the Universe is affected by several factors, including the amount of matter and energy present in the Universe, the expansion rate of the Universe, and the presence of dark energy. These factors all contribute to the overall rate at which the Universe is cooling.

3. How do we measure the cool-down rate of the Universe?

The cool-down rate of the Universe is measured by observing the redshift of distant galaxies. As the Universe expands, the light from these galaxies is stretched, causing a shift towards the red end of the spectrum. By measuring the amount of redshift, scientists can calculate the rate of expansion and therefore the cool-down rate of the Universe.

4. Is the cool-down rate of the Universe constant?

No, the cool-down rate of the Universe is not constant. It has been observed to be accelerating due to the presence of dark energy, which is causing the expansion of the Universe to speed up. This means that the cool-down rate is also increasing over time.

5. How does the cool-down rate of the Universe affect the future of the Universe?

The cool-down rate of the Universe is a crucial factor in determining the future of the Universe. If the cool-down rate continues to accelerate, it is predicted that the Universe will eventually reach a state of maximum entropy, known as the "heat death" of the Universe. However, if the cool-down rate slows down or stops, the Universe may eventually collapse in on itself in a "Big Crunch" scenario.