How Do You Calculate the Distance and Relative Speed Between Two Ships?

In summary: To find the speed of ship A as seen by ship B, you would need to find the vector difference of their velocities and then calculate the magnitude of that vector. Hope this helps!In summary, the two ships, A and B, leave port together. For the next two hours, ship A travels at 35.0 mph in a direction 25.0 degrees west of north, while ship B travels at 30.0 mph in a direction 80.0 degrees east of north. To find the distance between the two ships after two hours, you can use the law of cosines. When calculating the length of a component-wise vector, it is important to include both the x and y components. For the second part,
quick
Ships A and B leave port together. For the next two hours, ship A travels at 35.0 mph in a direction 25.0 degrees west of north while the ship B travels 80.0 degrees east of north at 30.0 mph.
What is the distance between the two ships two hours after they depart?
What is the speed of ship A as seen by ship B?

basically i tried using trig to find the x component of both vectors and then added them. it wanted distance at t = 2 so i did 70 * sin (25) + 60 * sin(80) but it was incorrect. i tried this method with the example in the book and it was fairly close. so I am guessing i did it incorrectly but got an answer that was close by coincidence? and for the second part I am really unsure where to begin, i just know reference frames have something to do with it and maybe some sort of vector addition/subtraction. any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
anyone help please? I am stuck

try using

[tex] v = \frac{d}{t} [/tex]

i got it using the law of cosines. thanks for your suggestion though.

When you're calculating the length of a component-wise vector it's
[tex]\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/tex]
from the way you describe what you did, you might have forgotten the [tex]y[/tex] component.

The second part looks like straightforward vector addition as well.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Distance and Relative Speed Between Two Ships?

1. What is relative motion of two ships?

The relative motion of two ships refers to the movement of one ship in relation to the other. It takes into account not only the speed and direction of each ship, but also their positions and orientations in relation to each other.

2. How is relative motion calculated?

Relative motion is calculated using vector addition, taking into account the velocity of each ship and their relative positions and angles. The resulting vector represents the relative motion of one ship in relation to the other.

3. What factors affect relative motion between two ships?

The main factors that affect relative motion are the speed and direction of each ship, their positions in relation to each other, and any external forces such as wind or currents.

4. How does relative motion impact navigation?

Understanding relative motion is crucial for safe and efficient navigation, as it allows ships to anticipate and avoid collisions. It also helps in planning routes and determining the most efficient course of action.

5. Can relative motion be used to measure the distance between two ships?

Yes, relative motion can be used to determine the distance between two ships by measuring the angle and speed of approach or separation and using trigonometry to calculate the distance.