How Do You Calculate Trigonometric Ratios for Angles in Standard Position?

In summary, using the given information, we can determine the exact value of csc θ to be √5 and the point (-2/√5, 1/√5) must be on the terminal side of θ. In addition, using the given cosine value, we can determine the value of cot θ to be -√24/5. Finally, if (-10, 24) lies on the terminal arm of angle θ in standard position, we can determine csc θ to be -√24/10.
Cyborg31

Homework Statement

1) If the point (-4, 2) lies on the terminal arm of an angle θ in standard position, determine the exact value of csc θ.
2) If sec θ = -5/3 and angle θ terminates in quadrant III, which point must be on the terminal side of θ?
3) If cos θ = 5/13, where θ is in quadrant VI, determine the value of cot θ
4) Determine csc θ if (-10, 24) lies on the terminal arm of angle θ in standard position.

Homework Equations

I know (cos θ, sin θ)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well for #1, I thought you're supposed to csc(2) since csc θ is 1/sin θ but it's not, and the answer is [tex] \sqrt {5} [/tex] and I have no idea how you get that.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
This may sound stupid but drawing triangles is your friend.

Ok... could you tell me where I should start? The examples in my book don't even show how coordinates fit into this.

Thanks.

What does csc mean?
Other than that you have one arm of the angle to be +ve x-axis and the other arm is given so complete this triangle to get the values you need.

1/sin

I only know that it's in the second quadrant and 2 is the sin coord. Other than that I have no idea because the book doesn't say how to do these types of questions and I have the test tomorrow. Even if you tell me how to get root 5 for that one question only, I might be able to figure it out.

Thanks for any help.

"In standard position" means that the angle has one side along the positive x-axis. In particular, if the other side passes through the point (-4,2), which has distance [itex]\sqrt{(-4)^2+ 2^2}= \sqrt{20}= 2\sqrt{5}[/itex] from the origin, then it also passes through the point [itex](-2/\sqrt{5}, 1/\sqrt{5})[/itex] which has distance 1 from the origin. I interpret your "2 is the sin coordinate" as meaning that you recognize that the y-coordinate is the one that gives you the sine value for that angle. Of course the x-coordinate is the one that gives you the cosine value at the point where the angle side passes through the unit circle. In other words, knowing that the side passes through (-4, 2) tells you that the sine of the angle is [itex]1/\sqrt{5}[/itex] and the cosine of the angle is [itex]2/\sqrt{5}[/itex]. Now, what is the cosecant of the angle?

Related to How Do You Calculate Trigonometric Ratios for Angles in Standard Position?

What is an angle in standard position?

An angle in standard position is an angle that is formed by the initial side (usually the positive x-axis) and the terminal side (the side that rotates) in a coordinate plane. It is measured in degrees or radians.

What is the reference angle of an angle in standard position?

The reference angle of an angle in standard position is the acute angle formed between the terminal side of the angle and the x-axis. It is always positive and can be used to find the exact value of trigonometric functions for angles in different quadrants.

How do you find the quadrant of an angle in standard position?

To find the quadrant of an angle in standard position, you need to look at the location of the terminal side of the angle. If the terminal side is in the first quadrant, the angle is between 0 and 90 degrees. If it is in the second quadrant, the angle is between 90 and 180 degrees. In the third quadrant, the angle is between 180 and 270 degrees, and in the fourth quadrant, the angle is between 270 and 360 degrees.

What is the difference between positive and negative angles in standard position?

Positive angles in standard position are measured in a counterclockwise direction from the initial side, while negative angles are measured in a clockwise direction. Positive angles have a reference angle in the same quadrant, while negative angles have a reference angle in the quadrant opposite to the one they are in.

How can you convert an angle in standard position to an equivalent angle between 0 and 360 degrees?

To convert an angle in standard position to an equivalent angle between 0 and 360 degrees, you can add or subtract multiples of 360 degrees to the angle until you get an angle between 0 and 360 degrees. For example, an angle of 450 degrees is equivalent to an angle of 90 degrees, since 450 degrees = 90 degrees + 360 degrees.