How Do You Differentiate Between Pure and Applied Mathematics and Start a Proof?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between pure mathematics and applied mathematics, including the subject matter and coursework required for a Ph.D. in either subject. The difficulty of starting a proof is also mentioned, with suggestions to begin with exercises and explore the properties of math to find interesting patterns and potential theorems.
michaelknight
Hello, all :) I was just wondering a few things:
1) what is the difference between pure mathematics and applied mathematics, and which classes do you need to take in order to get your Ph.D. in either subject?
2) I know this is a really large branch off, but I was wondering how do you start a proof? When I do proofs, the beginning is always the hardest part for me, but when I get going, I can do proofs fairly easily. I guess what I'm asking is how do you pick the subject for the proof, and then proceed from there?

Thank you for anyone who is willing to help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
My understanding is that pure mathematics deals more with proofs and theorems, and applied mathematics deals more with computations and modeling, i.e. real world applications.

I don't know about doctoral curricula, but my grad school research suggests that MS students in applied and pure math largely study similar things, with the applied mathematics students spending more time on differential equations and/or statistics/probability-type courses than the pure math students, who seem to do more algebra and topology.

Applied mathematics is generally about actual numbers, and in pure mathematics the numbers are largely irrelevant. It's more about the properties.

For example, applied mathematics might have you either computing the tension on an anchor from two strings, or perhaps trying to find such an equation. Pure mathematics would be examining how many ways you can screw with a matrix and still get useful information from it, or perhaps how you can take two separate bits of math (say calculus and matrices) and stick them together and do calculus on matrices. So pure math is more about what kind of math can you do and applied is more about finding the physical answers.

The beginning is always the hardest part of a proof. You just have to do so many that you can kind of tell in the beginning what direction to go in.

I found a lot of interesting properties of groups when I was doing the exercises in my algebra book. Exercises are a great place to start, because they give you something to do with the math. The more you move the math around, the more you see how it moves, and you can start to see little patterns, and then you say "I wonder if this is ALWAYS true?". You can find lots of books of exercises for any branch of math.

I am not an expert in mathematics, but I can provide some general information about the questions you have asked.

1) The main difference between pure mathematics and applied mathematics is the focus of the subject. Pure mathematics is more theoretical and focuses on abstract concepts and ideas, while applied mathematics is more practical and focuses on using mathematics to solve real-world problems. To obtain a Ph.D. in either subject, you would need to take a combination of advanced mathematics courses and conduct independent research in your chosen field.

2) Starting a proof can be challenging, but it is important to have a clear understanding of the problem and the concepts involved. One approach is to break down the problem into smaller parts and try to prove each part individually before putting them together to form the final proof. It is also helpful to look at examples and previously solved proofs to gain a better understanding of the techniques and strategies used. Ultimately, practice and persistence are key in developing the skills needed for successful proofs.

Related to How Do You Differentiate Between Pure and Applied Mathematics and Start a Proof?

1. What is the role of a mathematician?

A mathematician is a scientist who specializes in the study of numbers, quantities, and shapes. They use logic and critical thinking to solve complex problems and develop new mathematical theories.

2. What is a proof in mathematics?

A proof in mathematics is a logical and convincing argument that demonstrates the truth of a mathematical statement. It is a way to verify that a mathematical statement or theorem is correct and can be applied in various situations.

3. Why are proofs important in mathematics?

Proofs are important in mathematics because they provide a rigorous and systematic way to validate mathematical claims. They allow for a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and ensure that mathematical theories are accurate and reliable.

4. How do mathematicians approach solving problems?

Mathematicians approach problem-solving by breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts. They use logic, critical thinking, and creativity to develop strategies and test different approaches until they arrive at a solution.

5. What skills are necessary to become a mathematician?

To become a mathematician, one must have a strong foundation in mathematics, including algebra, geometry, and calculus. They must also possess critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. Additionally, strong communication and computer skills are essential for conducting research and presenting findings.