How Do You Express a Matrix as a Product of Elementary Matrices?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve a problem involving expressing a matrix as a product of elementary matrices. The suggested method involves writing a Gaussian array of the matrix, performing elementary operations on it, and writing down each operation as an elementary matrix until the original matrix is transformed into the identity matrix. It is recommended to refer to a book on linear algebra for a proof of this method.
theneedtoknow
I don't have a specific question that I need solved, but can someone explain to me how to solve a problem such as "express matrix A as a product of N elementary matrices." How do i go about solving this?

uu i think i posted this in the wrong forum...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
An elementary matrix is the identity matrix with one of the three elementary operations performed on it.

1) Write a Gaussian array of the matrix you have.

2) Perform elemantary operations on it

3)Write down each operation as it's elementary matrix, making sure that each new op goes on the right hand side of the last.

4)Keep doing this until your original matrix is the identity matrix.

5)Your product of elementary matrices will equal the original matrix.

Pick up a book on linear algebra to see a proof of this method.

Related to How Do You Express a Matrix as a Product of Elementary Matrices?

What is an elementary matrix?

An elementary matrix is a square matrix that can be obtained from the identity matrix by performing a single elementary row operation. These operations include multiplying a row by a non-zero constant, swapping two rows, or adding a multiple of one row to another.

Why are elementary matrices useful?

Elementary matrices are useful in matrix operations and transformations. They can be used to simplify calculations and solve systems of linear equations. They are also important in the study of linear algebra and have applications in fields such as computer graphics and physics.

How do I create an elementary matrix?

An elementary matrix can be created by starting with the identity matrix and performing the desired elementary row operation. For example, to create a matrix that swaps the first and second rows of a 3x3 identity matrix, we would multiply the identity matrix by the matrix [0 1 0; 1 0 0; 0 0 1].

What is the inverse of an elementary matrix?

The inverse of an elementary matrix is another elementary matrix that, when multiplied together, results in the identity matrix. For example, the inverse of a matrix that multiplies the first row by 2 is a matrix that multiplies the first row by 1/2.

Can elementary matrices be used to solve systems of equations?

Yes, elementary matrices can be used to solve systems of linear equations. By performing row operations on a matrix representing the system of equations, we can transform it into an upper triangular form and easily solve for the variables. Elementary matrices are also used in the process of finding the inverse of a matrix, which is necessary for solving systems of equations.