The equation to find the frequency of a bouncing ball

In summary, the conversation was about a student's experiment to find the frequency of a bouncing ping-pong ball with different heights in a given time. The student was wondering if there is an equation or formula to calculate the frequency of the ball. They mentioned using the SUVAT equations for motion and their hypothesis that the higher the drop point, the lower the frequency. The mentors suggested looking into the coefficient of restitution and deriving the formula themselves.
Carlo Silanu
[Mentors' note: No template because this thread was moved from the General Physics forum]

Ok so first of all believe me i would not make a new post if i found the answer anywhere online but i i couldn't find it.

Right now i am doing an experiment to find the frequency of a bouncing ping-pong ball with different heights in the given time. I did my experiments with 5 different heights which is 0.30m, 0.60m, 0.90m, 1.2m,1.5m. What i want to find is how many times did the ping-pong ball bounces back when its dropped from a certain height during the first 5 seconds of the drop.

i was wondering is there any equation/formula to find the frequency of the bouncing ball?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Carlo Silanu said:
Ok so first of all believe me i would not make a new post if i found the answer anywhere online but i i couldn't find it.

Right now i am doing an experiment to find the frequency of a bouncing ping-pong ball with different heights in the given time. I did my experiments with 5 different heights which is 0.30m, 0.60m, 0.90m, 1.2m,1.5m. What i want to find is how many times did the ping-pong ball bounces back when its dropped from a certain height during the first 5 seconds of the drop.

i was wondering is there any equation/formula to find the frequency of the bouncing ball?

You need to know the coefficient of restitution between the ball and the floor. This would have to be determined by experiment.

Hello Carlo, :welcome:

Interesting experiment ! You can do calculations indeed, provided you are familiar with the so-called SUVAT equations for motion under constan acceleration (from gravity), in particular: $$x = x_0 + v_0 t + (1/2) a t^2$$are you ?

And, since you mention an experiment: I am curious what you are measuring and how you do the experiment in detail :smile: ?

BvU said:
Hello Carlo, :welcome:

Interesting experiment ! You can do calculations indeed, provided you are familiar with the so-called SUVAT equations for motion under constan acceleration (from gravity), in particular: $$x = x_0 + v_0 t + (1/2) a t^2$$are you ?

And, since you mention an experiment: I am curious what you are measuring and how you do the experiment in detail :smile: ?

Yes i am familiar with SUVAT equations for motion. so my experiment is about how many times did the ball bounce back from the ground during the first five seconds of the drop. so what i did was dropping the ping-pong ball from different heights to see is there any difference on how many times does the ball bounce back. my hypothesis or my prediction is that the higher the height of the point where the ball is dropped the lower the frequency of the bouncing ball. i did my experiment and the results is the same as i expected which is the frequency gets lower the higher the drop point. What i don't understand is the calculation or equation behind it if there is any. this experiment is actually for a school work I am working on and i want it to be as detailed as possible so i was looking around the internet if there is an equation/formula to find the frequency of a bouncing ball

Carlo Silanu said:
Yes i am familiar with SUVAT equations for motion. so my experiment is about how many times did the ball bounce back from the ground during the first five seconds of the drop. so what i did was dropping the ping-pong ball from different heights to see is there any difference on how many times does the ball bounce back. my hypothesis or my prediction is that the higher the height of the point where the ball is dropped the lower the frequency of the bouncing ball. i did my experiment and the results is the same as i expected which is the frequency gets lower the higher the drop point. What i don't understand is the calculation or equation behind it if there is any. this experiment is actually for a school work I am working on and i want it to be as detailed as possible so i was looking around the internet if there is an equation/formula to find the frequency of a bouncing ball

You could start with the assumption that the ball bounces to the same height each time and work it out for yourself.

Did you look up "coefficient of restitution"?

Carlo Silanu said:
What i don't understand is the calculation or equation behind it if there is any. this experiment is actually for a school work I am working on and i want it to be as detailed as possible so i was looking around the internet if there is an equation/formula to find the frequency of a bouncing ball
There is such a formula, and you can derive it yourself from the SUVAT equations. PeroK has already given you one big hint, and I'll give you another: how much time passes between bounces?

Nugatory said:
There is such a formula, and you can derive it yourself from the SUVAT equations. PeroK has already given you one big hint, and I'll give you another: how much time passes between bounces?
PeroK said:
You could start with the assumption that the ball bounces to the same height each time and work it out for yourself.

Did you look up "coefficient of restitution"?

Thanks Nugatory and Perok for helping me now i got the idea and the equations

1. What is the equation to find the frequency of a bouncing ball?

The equation to find the frequency of a bouncing ball is f = (1/2L)*sqrt(k/m), where f is the frequency, L is the distance the ball bounces, k is the spring constant, and m is the mass of the ball.

2. How does the distance the ball bounces affect the frequency?

The distance the ball bounces is directly proportional to the frequency. This means that as the distance increases, the frequency also increases.

3. Can the spring constant affect the frequency of a bouncing ball?

Yes, the spring constant does affect the frequency of a bouncing ball. A higher spring constant will result in a higher frequency, while a lower spring constant will result in a lower frequency.

4. Is the frequency of a bouncing ball affected by the mass of the ball?

Yes, the mass of the ball does affect the frequency. A higher mass will result in a lower frequency, while a lower mass will result in a higher frequency.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the frequency of a bouncing ball?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the frequency of a bouncing ball, such as air resistance, surface properties, and the angle at which the ball is dropped. These factors may alter the equation or introduce additional variables to consider.