How do you find the fourier expansion coefficients?

In summary, the author is trying to solve for h in a piecewise function which has a<x<L and f(x) = 0 for 0<x<a. They found the Fourier expansion to be 4hL/π(L-a) ∑sin(nπx/(L-a)) and want to make sure that 1/(L-a) is in place of L in the general formula.
Vitani11

Homework Statement

I need to expand this piecewise function f(x) = h for a<x<L and f(x) = 0 for 0<x<a. I am told that this is a square wave so ao and an in the expansion are 0 (odd function). Therefore I only need to worry about bn. The limits on the integral are from a to L, but what about the coefficient? Is it 1/(L-a)? Also for the sine term which is inside the integrand - is this just (L-a) in replace of the L in the general formula?That's what I did and I want to make sure.

Homework Equations

bn = 1/L∫f(x)sin(nπx/L)dx where the limits are from -L to L in general.
I have bn = 1/(L-a)∫hsin(nπx/(L-a))dx where the limits are from a to L.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've found the Fourier expansion to be 4hL/π(L-a) ∑sin(nπx/(L-a))

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you are stating some things that aren't true, and plugging some values into formulas without really understanding how the formulas work.
First questions:
1) Can you verify for yourself whether this is a square wave? What is the definition of a square wave? Does it matter?
1a) Is this really a square wave? It is a rectangular wave, yes, but square? I think many (most?) would say that a square wave has equal amounts of on/off (high/low, etc.). 1b) Does the answer to 1a) matter?
2) Is this an odd function? Draw it out, and use the definition of odd function.
3) Do the answers to these questions affect your calculations?
4) If the limits of integration are generally (-L, L), how many periods of the waveform would be included?

Odd function means ##f(-x)=-f(x)##. How do you know that is odd? It is not obvious from the information you give.

Related to How do you find the fourier expansion coefficients?

1. What is a Fourier expansion?

A Fourier expansion is a mathematical technique used to represent a function as a sum of sinusoidal functions with different frequencies and amplitudes. This allows us to break down a complex function into simpler components, making it easier to analyze and manipulate.

2. How do you find the Fourier expansion coefficients?

The Fourier expansion coefficients can be found by using the Fourier series formula, which involves integration and manipulation of the original function. Alternatively, the coefficients can also be calculated using Fourier transform techniques, which can be more efficient for certain types of functions.

3. What information can be obtained from the Fourier expansion coefficients?

The Fourier expansion coefficients provide information about the frequency and amplitude of the sinusoidal components that make up a function. They can also be used to calculate other important properties such as the average value, energy, and power of a function.

4. Are there any limitations to using Fourier expansion?

While Fourier expansion is a powerful tool, it has some limitations. It can only be used for functions that are periodic and have a finite number of discontinuities. Additionally, the accuracy of the expansion depends on the number of terms used and the smoothness of the function.

5. How is Fourier expansion used in real-world applications?

Fourier expansion has a wide range of applications in various fields such as signal processing, image and audio compression, data analysis, and solving differential equations. It is also used in fields like physics, engineering, and economics to model and analyze complex systems.