How do you find the zero-input response in the frequency domain?

In summary, the conversation discussed the process of finding the zero-input response of a system in the frequency domain. While the zero-state response is easily calculated using Y_{zs} = X(S)H(S), the equation for the zero-input response was more elusive. After some research and effort, it was determined that the zero-input response can be found by setting the input to zero and including initial conditions in the equation.
Nat3
I'm working on a problem and one part of it is finding the zero-input response of a system in the frequency (or "s") domain.

The zero-state response can be easily found in the frequency domain, it's just:

[itex]Y_{zs} = X(S)H(S)[/itex]

But I can't for the life of me find the equation for calculating the zero-input response. I've been looking through my textbook and online and simply can't find anything.. How is it done?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, after considerable effort I finally figured it out. Zero-input means you set the input to zero :-)

Actually, there was more to it than that. You have to include initial conditions in the equation or it won't work, and that was the part that was tripping me up.

Case closed!

Related to How do you find the zero-input response in the frequency domain?

1. What is the zero-input response in the frequency domain?

The zero-input response in the frequency domain is the output of a system when there is no input signal present. It is also known as the natural response or the homogeneous solution.

2. How do you represent the zero-input response in the frequency domain?

The zero-input response is typically represented as a function of frequency, known as the frequency response. This can be expressed as a transfer function, a Bode plot, or a Nyquist plot.

3. What is the difference between the zero-input response and the zero-state response?

The zero-input response is the output of a system without any input signal, while the zero-state response is the output when the system is driven by only the initial conditions. The total response is the sum of these two components.

4. How do you find the zero-input response using Fourier transforms?

The zero-input response can be found using the transfer function of the system and the Fourier transform of the initial conditions. The inverse Fourier transform of the product of these two yields the zero-input response in the time domain.

5. Can the zero-input response be affected by the system's initial conditions?

Yes, the zero-input response can be affected by the system's initial conditions. This is because the zero-input response is the output of the system when there is no input signal, but the initial conditions can still have an impact on the system's behavior.