Relating pavement roughness in frequency to displacement

In summary, the conversation is about optimizing a suspension system's spring and damping rates through vibrational analysis in the frequency domain. The speaker has calculated the input-output relationship and mean square acceleration response, and now wants to determine the corresponding stroke of suspension components and the separation between the road and suspension system. They are asking for help in relating the frequencies used in their calculation to the change in vertical height of the road. The other person suggests researching the subject and offers to discuss the specific questions if needed. The speaker clarifies that they are looking for a way to find q2 or x for a given frequency and asks if dividing the mean square acceleration response by -omega^2 would be valid. They have already done research but have not found a
KToal
Hi all,

I'm attempting to optimise a suspension system's spring and damping rate via vibrational analysis.
Working in the frequency domain, I have calculated the input-output relationship as a ratio (i.e. ground to body, x/q2 in the attachment) and the mean square acceleration response based on an input modeled using an exponential power spectral density.

From here I want to calculate the corresponding stroke of the suspension components and the separation between the road and the suspension system as a measure of road adhesion. My intention is to optimise the k and c values based on these three measures.

So what I'm asking is how do I relate the frequencies I've used in my MSAR calculation to the change in vertical height of the road or vice versa? Or am I going about this in the wrong way?

Attached is the half car model I'm using and the key equations along with my rough spreadsheet used for calculations.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Vibration Model.jpg
    Vibration Model.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 443
  • RMSAR.xlsx
    30.4 KB · Views: 155
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the reply. Perhaps I need to be a bit more specific.

What I'm after is a way of finding q2 or x for a given frequency. So would it be valid to divide the Mean Square Acceleration Response by -omega^2 to get the displacement? I.e. x(f).

I have delved into a considerable amount of the literature but I can't find an adequate answer.

Related to Relating pavement roughness in frequency to displacement

1. What is pavement roughness and why is it important?

Pavement roughness refers to the unevenness or irregularity of a road surface. It is important because it can affect the safety, comfort, and durability of a road, as well as the fuel efficiency of vehicles.

2. How is pavement roughness measured?

Pavement roughness is typically measured using specialized equipment called profilometers, which use lasers or other sensors to measure the vertical displacement of a road surface as a vehicle travels over it. The data collected is then analyzed to determine the roughness of the pavement.

3. What is the relationship between pavement roughness and frequency?

Pavement roughness and frequency are inversely related, meaning that as the frequency of road surface irregularities increases, the roughness of the pavement also increases. This is because higher frequency irregularities, such as small cracks and bumps, contribute more to the overall roughness of the road than lower frequency irregularities.

4. How does pavement roughness affect vehicle performance?

Pavement roughness can affect vehicle performance in several ways. It can increase fuel consumption and emissions due to the need for more engine power to overcome the uneven surface. It can also cause discomfort and fatigue for drivers and passengers, and potentially damage vehicles and their components.

5. Can pavement roughness be improved?

Yes, pavement roughness can be improved through various maintenance and repair techniques such as resurfacing, crack sealing, and patching. Additionally, proper design and construction techniques can help minimize pavement roughness in new roads. Regular monitoring and maintenance can also help prevent excessive pavement roughness over time.